C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I'm new to the goat scene but my friends keep them one to two weeks to make sure the babies are taking the bottle well and not developing pneumonia or runny poops. I'm sure you will know if they are ready to be sold. You might need to hire a kid sitter that day? If I was close I'd be there in a heartbeat to feed the babies for you..❤🐐
Road trip!!! People have told me to hire a 4H kid. Yes, I know that might sound ok to many...but, to me, wellllll, nope!! I just cant imagine letting anybody in...Sugar rushes the gate...takes off, Trixie know how the sneak by at the exact moment. Busty pulls so hard on he4 leash, she wants to be free range....she about takes my arm off when I’m leading her back to the gate. So, at this moment, on this day...I want to bottle feed, and sell mos5 of the kids. I think I’d like to keep maybe Busty’s since Kinder goats are quite rare...and she makes awesome kids❤️❤️❤️ But we’ll have to wait and see? If she pops out an agouti doe...bam!! Keeper!!
my family was here today. They love coming to th3 farm...even my prissy siste4 liked it today because we picked a ton of blueberries and blackberry...but...my brother said, we no longer have a place to gathe4 up here..
my dads wife...well, she’s a real “peach”...so they’ve decided that the farm is the new designation for family gatherings?!! Hmmmmm....🤣. My SIL liked the animals, but thought the barn smelled...like a barn...🤣🤣🤣. I don’t even notice it anymore?!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've heard rumors they can do that in Brazil ;)

I'm thinking: It was nice of you to be watching the road so they had some privacy.

Oh, a bottle baby goat, what a great engagement gift!

OK, this I do not understand. Seems like a person would get MORE attached if they were hand feeding the babies rather than letting the mom do it mostly unseen out in the barn.
Sooo, my SIL said no cute goat kids at her house...her HOA, (she’s even in charge...🤣🤣🤣) would not allow it! Fancy pants!
as for not getting so attached...I’m think8ng yes...those first week or so, I’ll be sooo in love. But when a kid is here 8 weeks..living on me, and I know it’s personality...etc,..there’s noooo way I can sell it then!! I mean, unless I was really ugly..and I’ve never seen an ugly goat kid??

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A barn is supposed to smell like a barn! It's not supposed to stink, but it has an earthy smell. My horses congregate in the barn and poop. They have plenty of nice shade trees, but noooooooo they want to poop in the barn and hang out there. So we run the tractor down the aisle every so often and dump it on poor soil. We have plenty of poor soil, so that is not a problem.

Even when we clean out the deep litter from the sheep barn, to me at least, it doesn't stink. Pig poop stinks, but our pigs have enough room to have a potty corner and I have to get up real close to even catch a whiff of it.

Country living. Take a DEEP breath and smile.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule ..absolutely..the barn should smell just like it does!! That’s why it doesn’t bother me! My fancy sister.... @Bruce ..even said, when they went to the fair, she made her hubb6 take their girls through the barns, because she couldn’t stand the anima smell....are we even related??? No high heels today, but she still was very fancy ...I mean...ridiculous...my SIL had knee high rubber boots on..🤣. My sister had pure white canvas snea with hot pink laces...and white shorts!!🤣🤔. Really? Now, I’ve have told everyone..to wear crumby clothes...in fact the last time..I said ‘trashy’..and they all made stripper jokes..because of the goats...so she wear clothes you wear to Cape Cod...huh?? Then we’re in the midst of blueberry picking...not exactly a clean activity....then my SIL starts freaking out tgat there might be snakes in tge bushes....after Chris calms her down..then she says...’well, I definitely know there are SPIDERS’... who invited these people🤣🤣. We get a ton of chuckles out of watchin* them be so out of their element.... This morning I kinda told Chris how we were nominated for the holidays...I thought he’d say no....but he said ‘ok’...very matter of fact....huh? Who’s this guy now?? Where my grumpy hubby? The one that doesn’t like holidays, or seein* people, or definitely not seeing my family for loooong periods of time??? Huh? Now we have to spend money and cook also? Clearly he must not have heard me!! Ugh....🤣🤔😩.
Ben moved his stuff back to college today....but he’s coming back for a week. He’s forced to intern with football team at Slippery Rock again this year. His plan was to go away...but, with Covid, no one is accepting internships right now, so he took the safe route. He’s also upset about his masters...he’s got his applications all sent on, but the schools aren’t looking at, or do8n* anyth8ng with nex5byears applications du3 to the Covid situaction. He wanted to have 3veryth8ng set...and planned. He also thinks hell ge5 back to college for a few weeks and the kid# will be partyin* too muc( and the colleges will shut down again...he’s very upset, because for the medical field, you kinda need to learn hands on...

ok, gotta ge5 back to chores..my break was wayyyy too long!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
As someone who lives in Mass, If I went to cape cod I'd wear full body bug netting and a whole lot of tick repellent because it seems like all they ever have is all the insect diseases down on the cape. I'm still not sure where you'd want to wear white shorts. Sure sounds like a party over there. :)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
As someone who lives in Mass, If I went to cape cod I'd wear full body bug netting and a whole lot of tick repellent because it seems like all they ever have is all the insect diseases down on the cape. I'm still not sure where you'd want to wear white shorts. Sure sounds like a party over there. :)
Geez..I always thought tp’the Cape’ was quite glamorous?? Guess kane might be ..., noooo, it’s not even close to that league...people wear pajamas allll day, even to grocery shop.....ugh....

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Naw, maybe glamorous on the surface, but not really. They just got their first case of EEE reported this morning. Last year 19 people got it in the state, 6 died. Don't ask about lyme and the other tick borne illnesses. When I went down to visit a well known breeder of ND to pick up a buck in Rehoboth near the cape, I made the mistake of getting her talking about the diseases from ticks there, since I knew she'd lived there for a long time. Guess what? She had a lot to say and the local diseases are horrifying, have lasting, life long consequences, and are everywhere down there. I shouldn't have asked (but you bet I take Mass ticks seriously after that).

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
so she wear clothes you wear to Cape Cod...huh??
Clearly she wanted to impress your farm animals!

Geez..I always thought tp’the Cape’ was quite glamorous?? Guess kane might be ..., noooo, it’s not even close to that league...people wear pajamas allll day, even to grocery shop.....ugh....
Pajamas to the grocery store :th Maybe very young children who had been dragged out of bed.

Everything has gotten more casual over the years. I think Dad wore a tie to UCLA in the late 30's early 40's. I know that early on people wore suits and nice dresses to Disneyland. The eldest of my cousins (now a 56 Y/O ER doctor in CA) was wearing sweatpants to class in the early 80's. Nothing anyone did when I went and that was only 7-8 years earlier. Change happens but I REALLY don't want to see people out shopping in their PJs.