Calf can't stand up

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
2 1/2 hrs from Dallas in this state can mean a lot of things. :D
It takes me just about 3 hrs to get there from here, and I'm 45 minutes north of Houston. I live in San Jacinto County, about 8 miles north of Cleveland and just across the Liberty County line.
It can be confusing, but here's how it works:

Texas is divided into 24 separate geographical /demographical/economic regions, with the Eastern 1/2 of Texas being divided into 4 geographical regions according to Council of Govts.
regionsMap2.jpg

https://www.txregionalcouncil.org/display.php?page=regions_map.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Association_of_Regional_Councils
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Texas#Population.2C_demographics_and_government
Ark-Tex in the extreme NE corner.

Sulphur Springs/Tyler is East Texas and my area (14 on the map above) and anywhere more than 20 miles East of US69/59 is offically known as Deep East Texas as long as you are North of the Houston region and South of Rusk county.
I'm guessing tho, that you are somewhere closer to Texarkana than in the other direction. I have a cousin running about 100 polled Hereford mommas with 5-7 bulls in Bowie county.

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Interesting . . . for some reason, I thought you were down around region 17.

I know where Barbara lives, now. We are both in region 5. She is closer to @Latestarter than I am. But I am closer to @Baymule. We are ALL close enough to get together for a meal some time - including YOU @greybeard. :p

Wouldn't that be fun??? :celebrate

Barbara Guth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Update: got the calf to the vet. He has sepsis. His white blood cell count was high and she said that means his body is fighting the infection. She said there's a possibility he can come out of it. He has no pnuemonia, no scours, no fever. She gave him injectable colostrum, batril and Dex for the inflammation. In two days were supposed to give him another dose of the batril. If, by Friday, he's still not up she says most likely he isnt going to get up and we'll have to choose an alternative. But she also gave him a very low chance of survival. I'm not sure I did the right thing instead if just putting him down. What would any of y'all have done? Would you try to keep them alive or just end it?

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So sorry about your calf, sick baby animals are heart rending. :hugs I would have done what you did and got him to the vet. Calves are worth it in my book. Carry out her instructions, you never know... my dog Dexter survived Parvo, somehow. All the care and attention he has had and is getting from you ups his chances.
Sure hope the news is better by Friday. :fl

Barbara Guth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you. I hope so too. He is strong-willed and he wants to get up so bad he just needs a little boost.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
What would any of y'all have done? Would you try to keep them alive or just end it?
Septicemia..it doesn't get much worse than that.
Is the vet going to do a culture to determine which bacterial infection it has?
As is my habit, I do try to give an honest answer, tho it will probably be an un-popular answer here.
If it were mine (it isn't) I would most likely end it's suffering if not better by Friday.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
The way I see it, nothing ventured, nothing gained. You had a number of factors working against you (and the little guy)! Not the least of which is a Vet going AWOL!!!!

I tend to agree with @greybeard. A culture is important, so the Vet knows which bacteria she is dealing with, and subsequently which antibiotic will be most effective. If it isn't better by Friday, it might be best to gently put him out of his misery.

Last edited:

Barbara Guth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
As is my habit, I do try to give an honest answer, tho it will probably be an un-popular answer here.
If it were mine (it isn't) I would most likely end it's suffering if not better by Friday.
That's the plan. If he's not up by Friday we don't feel like he's going to get up at all at this point.

Barbara Guth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't believe she is. I wouldn't swear to what all she ran. She checked his white cell count and his glucose and some other things.