Calving in Below Freezing

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really pulling for your cow. Maybe the pain management will help improve her outlook and her appetite. :fl :hugs

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I hope so too! I switched her to LA 200 every 3 days, Metacam every second day and Trimidox every day. Fingers crossed! :fl They are even surprised she is still alive and on her feet so they are more hopeful for her today. I just need to get her eating.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hoping she starts eating soon!

I know with goats a B complex injection works wonders with stimulating the appetite. Don't know anything about cattle but could that help?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely B vitamins. If you can get straight B-12 use 5-10 cc a day. If complex use 10 cc day. For a week. We always put anything getting antibiotics on B-12 if they go off feed. Had a cow that didn't clean ( I didn't know until she started to smell as no discharge or anything) and she quit eating. By then I'd had the vet and we infused her uterus with a pen/solution and the vet said 10 cc B-12 daily for a week. She started to eat after a few days, but it took over a month to get the infection under control. I am not a big fan of LA200 for infections, don't think it hits them hard enough. We use LA300 here as it is longer acting, but I will also use penicillin at the same time to try to hit all the possibilities. But do as your vet says since they got her put back together and since she is up THAT IS A BIG PLUS. Rooting for her and you.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh one thing I forgot, pen and oxytet are antagonists and oxy will diminish the pen so we always gave the oxy in one side of the neck and on opposite days of the pen in the other side. Also, I think that the trimidox with the sulfa in it is probably a better choice. I think if you can get her to eat more then you will be okay. Also, the fact that she is drinking is great, the fluids will really help her body to utilize the antibiotics. :fl :hugs

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I do have some vitamin B injection I will give her some tonight. Any idea if I can just mix that in with the Trimidox? I am already poking her in enough places...

Yesterday I gave her the first round of Metacam, Trimidox and LA200. Max dose for her weight for all of those. An hour later she ate 2 leaves of hay and her grain, so I think it's safe to say it hit her in the right spot. The goal was survive a week which is tomorrow! The vet really believes if she survives the week she will likely pull through. Got the $2,000 bill yesterday from the vet. Would be a real shame if she didn't make it. Not only because I care about her and I think she deserves to die an old lady but because THAT WASNT CHEAP!!! :he

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yikes, the things we do for our animals. I have spent almost that on a couple of cats... so far the goats have spared me that kind of money.

Glad to hear she is eating a little better, pain management may be the trick right now.

Does she have a name?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
$2000 on cats???? Wow you have lucky cats!!

I'm glad to hear she's doing better and eating. I hope she pulls through for you!

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yikes, the things we do for our animals. I have spent almost that on a couple of cats... so far the goats have spared me that kind of money.

Glad to hear she is eating a little better, pain management may be the trick right now.

Does she have a name?

Her name is Deana :). I got her from a good friend of mine, cattle rancher that has a big herd of Short Horns and has a herd of show cows. I got her when she retired from the show ring. His name is Dean, so I call her Deana haha.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
$2000 on cats???? Wow you have lucky cats!!

I'm glad to hear she's doing better and eating. I hope she pulls through for you!

I have a dog that's worth more than my car (broke her neck at 5 years old), and I think I have a pretty nice car haha! My husband and I are what you call...suckers. :hu

Latest posts