Calving in Below Freezing

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
One kitty had Lymphoma and with the testing (no chemo) it was over 500.00. She belonged to my son and the things we do for our children. Another had a thyroid issue that was treated with radiation, that was 1200.00. I loved that cat more than any cat ever in my life, and I have owned A LOT of cats. He was worth every dime of that money.

@cjc I understand "sucker" all too well. It just seems that mine are always cats. The last one was an emergency c-section on a stray. :th

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well she is still alive. Seems to be more alert but on day 3 with no food. She has been really into her salt lick though, went through 1 in 2 days. The vet is going to stop by and look at her today when he is out on his calls.

He said he thinks the fact she has made it this far means she's out of the woods on septic peritonitis which is what we thought would kill her. But the no eating thing is worrying me. But she gets up when we walk in the barn and still fights us when we inject her.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear she is hanging in there.
We are all rooting for her! and you too... this has been a rough one - hang in there! :hugs

Reactions: cjc

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The vet came over and gave her a "drench" on Saturday. If anyone doesn't know what that is (because I sure didn't) they basically take a huge long tube, stick it down their throat right into the rumen and pump 8L of fluid into her. The fluid has a bunch of minerals and electrolytes and stuff in it. She took it like a champ but then had the worst runs the next day so we moved her out of the barn and into the paddock so she could watch the other cows and hopefully mock them and get eating.

5 days and still no food but maybe am I just missing her snacking a bit on hay? She fought us hard last night during her injections you'd think she would be exhausted from no eating by this point?

Anyone have any idea how long a cow can go without eating?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no idea how long they can go but I know with a goat off feed I worry about the rumen shutting down. Do you still hear rumen sounds? Hopefully she is snacking on the sly.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have no idea how long they can go but I know with a goat off feed I worry about the rumen shutting down. Do you still hear rumen sounds? Hopefully she is snacking on the sly.

Yes our vet was worried about this as well he said he does still hear it, it's just slow. Also when he did the drench he actually smelt the rumen gas, offered me a sniff but I passed on the offer! He said he could still smell the gas quiet strong. The longest I have had a cow, well it was actually a calf go without food was 3 days and he almost died. I know its different with a cow but it just seems after 5 days, now on day 6, she would lethargic. She put up one hell of a fight yesterday.

Latest posts