Calving in Below Freezing

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@farmerjan she is running a slight temp. Minor. The vet said he added everything in terms of probiotics to the drench powder.

Sorry about your cow :(. This is the first cow I have ever dealt with that won't eat. I have had calves but never a cow. Resflour is an expensive drug and I am sure you know this but I use it for any limp in a cow.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad she decided she wanted grain. Once she gets some "energy" into her, she ought to be well on her way. Glad that she is feeling better. The hay in her rumen first is the best thing for her and the microbes to work on repopulating all the necessary bacteria to digest her feed. Great news.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Day 3 back on feed. She is eating grain and hay now. Also still addicted to the salt lick. She also joined the herd again yesterday. She was choosing to hang out alone the past week and also sleep alone but that changed yesterday. She is now back to sleeping and grazing with them which I think is a good sign.

I am going to give her one more injection of long active penicillin tonight and then one more 5 days after that. Then I am going to take her off everything.

Assuming all goes well with her recovery I am going to move her out to another piece of land I have with some of my other girls this spring. Since she is a pet now I need to keep her belly full without a massive cost so we won't get any complaining from the men in our life. I have a plan for her that will keep her costs really minimal well still keeping her care great and still having her on the family farm. She's my biggest cow and the one I usually spend the most money feeding because she put out the biggest reward.

I've got it all figured out now she just needs to get 100% better so I can stop worrying about her! :fl

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear she is doing good. You are good person to care so much. Hope all your plans for her work out too.