Changing goals and speed

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule You need to buy it at Costco. EVERYTHING they sell comes in the JUMBO size. No one will wonder why you are buying the really big jar, it is likely the only size they would sell ;)

Pardon an ignorant question. If this is such a big problem with stallions, what happens with the wild horses? No one there to go arm deep to help out!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bruce,
It's a common problem with geldings since they don't breed...they never get to "knock the rust off" as it were. A stallion in the wild, well, that ole boy is getting some and doesn't get the build up.
I"d have no shame in buying that much KY jelly, I'd have to really go all out and grab a roll of duct tape, some chocolate syrup...ya know, let's just really make that cashier wonder what's going on!

Grey, I can't say I know much about OU, I don't keep up much with sports, but I know the local folks are real proud of OU.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: Don't forget the whipped cream!

Ah, it is a gelding problem! Makes sense. And there are no geldings in the wild ;)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm told stallions kept up can have issues down there, but I've never seen it with my parents studs. Some geldings are more prone to it as well, I rarely had to do that gross job with my old gelding.

That said, Bay, Trav did have a bean as well. Now those are gross. It wasn't huge, maybe the size of one of those plastic bracelet beads. He won't let everything hang out for me, so I had to go fishing as well. I have a bottle of Ace, but he was ok with the whole thing enough that I'm not going to dope him to get him to drop. I figure all softened up most of it will work it's way out if I missed any.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My minis were always good about the "clean outs". Generally I used Excaliber. But even my stallions were hosed out as I did use them for outside breeding, just precautions. LOL

Well, I've been hiding out a bit since the BYC'ers are here. Nothing against them, but the feed is overwhelmed and the limited time I can spend on here reading I've been spending trying to sift through the plethora of new posts. They're about a vivid bunch!

Me, too. By the time I opened one thread, all the others had moved and no way I could/would get to all. No issues with new members but, for a couple of weeks.....WOW!! o_O

Your horses look amazing. Nice job!

You will love it after those T/A are gone. Mine had been a mess every week, it seemed, for years. Evenutally taken out. Larger scar area to heal because of all the damaged tissue. Still was worth it -- Liquids for a while. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The best way I've ever gotten my gelding to drop is feed him and let him get a full belly. Then he relaxes, stands 3 legged and lets it all hang out. I just have to sneak up on him......

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks Mini, I over-feed everything, I worry more about animals getting lean than I probably should. Not to brag, but my horses are fatter than 90% of the horses I see in the area.
I'm not sure Trav ever gets full. He can eat!

I am looking forward to my tonsils being gone, I've had a cold for several days and they are back to inflamed and miserable. Nothing tastes good at all. I can't wait.

High light for today, going to pick up Skeeter from being spayed this morning. Sucks she's going to be feeling bad, but it's better than unwanted mutt puppies. I think cheaper in the long run too, I've had litters of puppies before, but purebred and registered, and they eat a ton and are so messy.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is just good sense to spay mixed breed dogs. We have 4 dogs, 2 are intact, 2 are "fixed". I hope you get your tonsils done soon!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Definitely, I don't even feel bad about it now. I kind of always feel a bit bad about spaying dogs because they don't really give them much in the way of good pain meds, and I imagine that hurts like a SOB. Skeeter was kind of pathetic when I picked her up, had to carry her out to the truck and she laid on the back seat, made me carry her in the house. 24 hours later she was back to herself and running around, so she must not feel that bad.

I always hear that spaying is so expensive - and it definitely wasn't cheap, even with the discount for being a large critter customer there. But, the last litter of puppies I had (German Shepherds) cost me probably as much as the spay in dog food by the time they were 8 weeks. Granted, I had no problem selling them, but they were good lines and papered. I don't know how people don't just spay their mutt females instead of letting them have puppies because there's no way you can re-coup the cost of feed for puppies you ultimately have to give away. I don't mind mutt dogs, but I won't pay for them. I didn't even pay for our purebred cattle dog. Vet said she's about 7 months old, I guessed 5-6 so not too far off. She was 25 lbs, so I doubt she's going to get much bigger, maybe another 10 lbs when she's up to a good weight.
Got her a crate too. I didn't crate train our cattle dog, but he picked up on house training better than she is.

I'm pretty beat this morning. I took advantage of that 15% off at TSC and bought cattle panels. We decided to change our rabbits over to a colony instead of cages. So, we built the rabbits a nice pen out of scraps we found around here (came out really nice too!) and I didn't get to building the goat pen. I'm going to work on it today as soon as my meds kick in and my back stops hurting. The rabbits new digs are 16'x12'. We used one 16 ft cattle panel for a side (a good one we had and weren't using already) and I cut up a couple of panels that were wrecked for the other side and we butted their pen up against the barn for 2 sides. We lined the bottom with corrugated sheet metal and DH framed out a gate which I covered with 1/2"x1/2" wire.
Previously, we had them in cages in a shed, but it was so hot and it was hard to keep them cool. They are now on the north side of the barn that is almost all shaded all day and nice and cool back there - it was in the 90's yesterday and we were nice and comfy back there working on it. It's pretty nice to see them all loose and they are definitely happy. We still have to build them some shelter, but DH is bringing home some pallets today to do just that with.
We haven't had a lot of luck with getting meat rabbits in the cages, so figured we would try something different. Since it doesn't matter to us to selectively breed, this may work out. Worst case scenario, they end up moved back to their cages and I use their pen for chickens if it doesn't work out.

Saturday was a bust for being productive. I mowed, DH scrounged up t posts for the goat pen. I meant to ride my horse this weekend but we ended up doing chores and by the time I got around to having the time I was so tired and beat I didn't bother. It's so hot I feel bad riding in the middle of the day so I have to wait until late afternoon/evening anyway.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The heat can wear you down. We have been working on fence pretty hard the past few weeks, by noon we knock off because of the heat and humidity. You get a lot done, so don't be hard on yourself, sometimes you need a day off.