Changing goals and speed

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:celebrate I would totally sing that while I did it, next time! Trav was good for it, he just stood there, he's definitely more comfortable today. I used Coconut oil because that's what I had, and it gets really nice and thin when it's warm. It also smells nice, but not like I'm going to volunteer to sniff test up there after the fact. I sing while I'm out with the horses anyway, they're the only ones who don't complain about it, lol.
I didn't do DH's horses feet today, I feel generally "ok", it doesn't seem to matter if I work more or less, I still have the basic crappy feeling, so I might as well work. He's just not good about his feet and I was in a good mood, so why ruin it? lol
Fred, I don't think anyone volunteers to do that job at all. DH got a "good to know" lesson, and I don't really mind doing it.

I did, however, work DH's horse, I hopped on him bareback, in shorts, barefoot, and rode him with a halter. Smart, right? Normally, I don't ride without long pants and boots on, but I didn't feel like going in to change or putting a saddle on him. Then I gave him a full bath and combed him out all pretty, so he could go roll in the dirt :D His behavior is improving, he's not a typical gelding - might even be proud cut the way he acts, including mounting my mare when she's in heat.
DH's back has been bothering him all day, he still has a herniated L5/S1, they did surgery on the L4/L5, but didn't mess with the other one because it requires a fusion. He wanted to ride but with the back pain, I don't blame him. I also don't mind volunteering to ride a horse I know isn't going to waste me.

I think I'm going to braid up a special halter for Trav to ride in, he rides better in a halter than he does a hackamore by far. I'll braid up a rope halter with actual reins because really this was his best ride yet. Maybe I'll braid up a soft bosal for him with a nice headstall, I'm not sure, it'll be something nice though. I'm currently working on a set of reins for me anyway. I don't like how the store bought ones feel, they're too thin feeling, so I started some nice thick ones.

Belle decided she wanted to be next and wandered in the round pen. We did some light work and some bonding. I've gone from a horse I couldn't touch to a horse that is starting to face me and follow me around. I'm happy about that. I'm not brave enough to hop on her bareback and she's too tall for me to do it anyway, her withers are almost at the top of my head. She'd have to get down on her knees for me to get on, or I'd have to climb the fence.

I never did go back to bed like I was planning. By the time I finished up homework, the baby was awake anyway. She finally fell asleep after eating a ridiculous amount, and us cranking on the humidifier with some vicks in it.

I am going to have to suck it up and do hooves this week, I know I'm going to be down for around 2 weeks with no lifting, so I'm going to assume that means trimming feet is going to be out of the question. That's some hard work if you've never done it. Especially if they aren't well behaved about it either.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
013.JPG
021.JPG
Fatty horse after his bath and the reins I"m working on.

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I sing to my horse while I clean his pee-pee. He hates it. I squirt a tube of KY jelly in the day before to soften things up, then again about an hour before.

The Sheath Cleaning Song
Author Unknown

(Sing it to the tune of "Hello Mother, Hello Father" from camp song)

How's it hangin'?
So much cleaner.
Aren't you glad I
washed your wiener?

I'll admit it's
kinda creepy
that I had to stick my arm up in your pee-pee.

It was sticky.
It was gunky.
It felt icky.
It smelled funky.

It was cruddy,
it was crusty--
when you stuck it out, it creaked like it was rusty.

After half an
hour of toilin'
and of squirtin'
baby oil in,
you're as fresh there
as a daisy.

Either this means I love you or else I'm crazy!!!

Tags:
:yuckyuck:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ya know, I didn't think to use KY jelly...something about that just seems wrong considering what it's sold for. My luck, I'd get that stuff that they advertise that gets hot and cold and have a real bronc on my hands, lol.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think it would be like using Icy Hot and then using the bathroom without washing your hands...probably a REAL bad idea. I do my best to stay on the top end of the horse and in the middle, laying in the dirt and looking at how pretty the sky is and wondering if you can get up isn't fun! lol

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know, I didn't think to use KY jelly...something about that just seems wrong considering what it's sold for. My luck, I'd get that stuff that they advertise that gets hot and cold and have a real bronc on my hands, lol.
Try being that person at the drug store with an arm load of KY........I get some strange looks. So of course I tell 'em what it's for. :lol: Ever have to stick your finger up their pee-pee hole and dig out the lumps of uric crystals? My gelding hates me for that.... I swear he can suck his pee-pee up behind his eyeballs when I'm groping around for it to pull it down. Gheesh! Gimme your darn ding-dong horse!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
AClark: I gotta ask.
What ya think about Sooner Coach Bob Stoops retiring today?
And how 'bout those Lady Sooners wining back to back world championships? Not shabby at all for a 10th seeded team.
(College World Series softball for those that don't keep up)