Chicken picture contest!

chicken pickin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
yep I think we do about 17 different chicken breeds, 2 different geese breeds , 2 duck breeds, and we did 2 turkey varieties- now we do one turkey variety.

I am reducing everything this year though, as we will need to bring in soil and reseed everything from the 2012-2013 rains and flooding - the land got destroyed and the erosion from all the flooding was terrible... 2013-2014 hasn't helped... so as they girls are in clean out pens and the others go into breeding pens they will need to remain there while the property is taken care of... they do not like being penned even for breeding so I am selling alot off. Free- ranged birds just don't like being penned and of course they will eat all the new seed as well as dust bathe in all the new dirt coming in. Our babie will be penned for close to 4 months! :ep

It is all good though. Honestly I have TOO many birds. We noticed we are not "enjoying" them as much now because of the amount of work involved is so overwhelming and the cost is unreal. I'd like to get down to 100-125. (which means 150 :p)

I am working on a page of how we do our breeding with so many free ranged birds and some of the things we have tried and liked and didn't like as well as what ended up really working for us. It is just taking a long time. :thI am behind on my website and my LGD work and I do a lot in my county with goats/education.... so time seems to always be of short supply. ;)
Id be interested to know what breeds you do and if you ship eggs, not that I need more chickens lol. Are you a member on BYC?

2luv2farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Really! I love browsing through my summer/fall photos just so I can dream of warm weather and green grass! Our grass is actually turning green already!

YIPPIE!!! :clap

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hit our grass is gone.

:weee:weee:weee
Put 30 something eggs in the bator! woo hoo!
Self Blue cochins and reds. gold blk, red lavender, blacks, frizzle!

Also have goose eggs going and turkeys.

OH YEAH! It's hatching time. We need a dancing emoticon!

2luv2farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You are such a busy lady! I can barely handle the 34 I have now. Always wanted some frizzles. Keep me in mind after they hatch! ;)

The closest I could find to dancing: :celebrate

chicken pickin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I also have eggs in the incubator. 6 sexlinks, 19 Olive eggs, 6 Cream Legbar, and Im headed out shortly to pick up some local Appenzeller Spitzhauben YAY!!! I love when hatching time comes back around.

jooniper

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here's a couple of my silkie roos, Claude and Robespierre
100_3483.jpg~320x480
100_3478.jpg~320x480

Bantam hen Wendy and some of her chicks
100_0918.jpg~320x480

And my favorite Banty roo Zaxby...such a friendly fun guy he got to come inside sometimes..
100_0895.jpg~320x480
100_0897.jpg~320x480

I've got lots more but that's a start. Yes I love my roos:plbb

Latest posts