Climbing climbing

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Brenda I have nothing but respect for you. I will not argue with you.
Not my intent to argue or stir the pot, just trying to get people to think beyond the shallow aspects of the use and understanding of these great dogs.

The term "LPD" by the way was promoted by the Government and USDA over "LGD," some time back, and that was why I do not use it.
I do not like the Gov nosing in on my ranching and LGDs and to date their efforts at "LPD" education and use, have not impressed me.

I think you recognize your situation and are not avoiding the facts of your choice, @Skiesblue and I commend you for that. Continued success to you.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dogs getting out of fenced property is not a good thing. First, because they are not with the livestock any more (can't guard the animals) , second because they can get out in a road and get run over (loss of an expensive and valuable member of the farm), third because an adjacent farmer can shoot them if they are on his property (if he sees a dog running through his pasture he is not going to check whose dog it is before protecting his livestock - would you?).

If the dog is continually getting out, you have only a few choices:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, hit wrong key.

If the dog is continually getting out, you have only a few choices:

1.Fix your fences after identifying the location. If over it raise the fence, if under it barricade so he can't dig, if through it re-fence with stronger fencing.

If the dog is getting out because of extreme predator behavior, you need to control the predators. If your regulations allow, shoot or trap them. If this is impossible, you may need more working LGDs. You said yours are old except for this one. He may have more work than he can handle. You got a new puppy who needs training, so there is more pressure for this dog to protect everything including this young immature dog. An immature dog is more trouble to a well trained mature dog because it gets in the way of the trained one when he is working. In stead of helping him, he is often likely to impede his efforts.

You need to identify the fence problems and repair them. Then you need to identify why the dog is leaving the fenced premises.

Some dogs just like to leave their fenced boundaries. If the dog continues to get out, you may have to get rid of the dog before it teaches your other dogs to do the same.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@BrendaMNgri thank you. If I was a little prickly it’s because I’ve been lashed by breeders for using rescues. And I value your opinion. I truly wish bitches had fewer pups. And I wish people were more thoughtful when then acquire a dog of any sort. LGDs are so smart I just saw a horrible waste and I act on it when I can. I think we are all on the same page. And hey today he watched everything no problem.
Thank God he doesn’t have thumbs or a credit card.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I applaud your desire to help these rescues. Your dogs are lucky to have found an owner with such a kind heart. If you can train them to do the job you want, then more power to you. Many rescues turn out to be fantastic dogs. Some rescues are not able to be retrained. Remember in all instances the previous owner trained the dog to be what it has become. Bad breeding plays a part too. I agree with BrendaMNegri about the drawbacks of crossbreds from completely differently varieties. Herding dogs are bred to round up and chase, hunting dog to hunt and pull down game, crossed with an LGD you now have an LGD who wants to chase the animals it is supposed to be quietly protecting. That is a very bad cross. Occasionally you will get one that takes after one parent or the other, but who knows. If you have one that is a good LGD then be thankful and keep up the training. Your dog looks very Anatolian - are you sure it is a cross?

Sadly, there are way too many "rescue" dogs out there. Most from unneutered dogs but many, many from people that think just because they own 2 "purebred" dogs they are entitled or knowledgeable enough to breed them. They think they will make big bucks selling them because they paid whatever for theirs. Then they offer no help to the new owners about training, etc. I showed and trained dogs for many years. I have bred very few litters of puppies. I know that it is far cheaper to pay a high price for the right dog from a reputable breeder than to breed a litter. Well bred LGDs from good breeders reflect the money that has gone into the parents, feeding, vet care, vaccinations, early training, etc. (Just ask Southern LOL!)

I don't breed puppies anymore because I need to be sure where my puppies go and that the new owners are knowledgeable about everything including the drawbacks of the breed. In LGDs lots of barking and difficult to obedience train - not good for neighborhoods; hunting dogs like to hunt - the neighbor's cat maybe; long haired dogs - lots of shedding - you get the idea. Every breed has its purpose and drawbacks and the people that love them deal with those drawbacks and enjoy the things that make their breed what it is.

I have taken back my dogs when they didn't work out, retrained them, and placed them with good owners but most people don't. Then with the inevitable behavior problems they end up in a shelter. I neuter my dogs now, even the show quality ones because I don't want more pups out there that may get into the wrong hands. I have put down animals that were too badly damaged and couldn't be placed. I hope this doesn't sound cruel, and I know it may upset some people, but I sleep better at night knowing any animals I have bred are not in bad hands or abandoned. I'll get off my soap box now and I am probably preaching to the choir anyway..

In the end, we all need to remember what works for one does not work for the other and we are all here to help each other in whatever way we can even if it is just with moral support! Good luck!

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
D3A4BBEA-2913-420F-86E1-A5E9CA143242.jpeg

Latest posts