1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Update on our 4 piggies - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by CntryBoy777, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Aug 18, 2019
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I raised a couple for a few years but I did it mainly for the fertilizer value. :)

2. Aug 19, 2019
    Pastor Dave

Pastor Dave Herd Master

I remember reading the history of post-war era housewives determining the market on day to day domestic meat. Until that time, rabbit was as common as chicken. Would you rather bring home a chicken or rabbit from the grocery and clean and quarter it, etc? The majority went with chicken, and rabbit faded out to just backyard operations. My memory of studying the history on it might be sketchy, but at the time it made sense that it was decided by American housewives and the preparation involved to serve dinner.

3. Aug 19, 2019
    RollingAcres

RollingAcres Herd Master

Yikes!! I hope you get a break from the weather and can get some stuff done there.
    Gabbie has a new swimming hole! :lol:

4. Aug 19, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Darn, I rather dress out one of my rabbits than dress out one of my chickens...I hate plucking feathers !

5. Aug 19, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

I think that familiarity plays a big role in it and when the seasonal hunts became less participated in as a means of food and became more of a "sport", fewer were interested in the prep process....on the farm, chickens were much more valuable for the eggs, meat, bug eating, and convenience as they didn't need to be caged and tended to on a regular basis....there wasn't much demand at the stores to carry rabbits, because they could be had for free and chicken was much cheaper to buy than rabbit meat....as generations progressed the knowlege and experience was lost in the butchering of all animals to the point that many have no experience cutting up a whole chicken...for whatever the reason....so, they sure don't want to eat the "easter bunny", cause that would be "cruel"....:)

6. Aug 19, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Were the chickens plucked but the rabbits still "in fur"? If the rabbits were skinned, I don't see there would be much difference parting them out.

Senile_Texas_Aggie likes this.
  7. Aug 19, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Plug that boat up, you can float one over and visit :lol:, we got all kinds of road closures here, if you run into a dry spot, jump ship and we" ll come and get ya...at least the boat will be gone off your property :lol::lol::frow:highfive:

8. Aug 19, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

:lol:...:gig....I hear ya....it'll be at least 3wks before we can get there....we had to "bite a bullet" this month, but it looks like our biggest "problem child" will be taken care of and we will be able to breathe....just a bit anyway....:)

I have to tell ya about the "adventure" that took place a couple of mornings ago....Joyce, as is her "routine", took Gabbie out when she got up and she doesn't take Gabbie out on a lead....well, just so happens there were a couple of dogs in the drive between our 2 vehicles....and Gabbie saw/smelled them 1st....Joyce was still groggy, and Gabbie brilled up...:ep and became the "banshee"....Joyce said that she looked 3x normal size...:lol:....as she lit after them....they took off, but Gabbie beat them to the property line, towards the street....when she got to the line....she stayed at the line and followed them down the property barking and raising he//....as they were running down the road....when Joyce called her back she returned and stood beside her as she continued to bark and watch.....we have been working with her to stay on the property and to return when called....it is finally sinking in and she is making great progress....:love.....she is not distracted from commands near as much as she was and is certainly maturing into a wonderful girl...... 45566-93db562e8fbdb13d1e87314cf84c817b.gif

9. Aug 20, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

Gotta love Gabbie! She's doing so well!

10. Aug 20, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Good girl Gabbie!!!