Coffee anyone ?

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Coffee is a lot of work, around here only the red berries are harvested by hand multiple times for each tree. If you get enough of it, it can be sold to a processor as 'coffee berry' otherwise it has to be pulped, soaked, cleaned, dried, then it's at the 'paper' stage. Then it gets the paper taken off and then finally roasted. I'm gonna try taking some dried berries off the tree and then just roast and grind them and see what it tastes like if the whole berry is used. It would be a LOT less work. Chocolate is even more work than coffee. Tea is easy, though. Get the leaves, crunch them, let them wilt then roast and toast and brew. That's for black tea, though, green tea is easier. Starts with the same leaves, too.

This is the island of Hawaii, it's a great place for a back yard farm since there's so many things to choose from. A small farmer of high end products works here a lot better than the commercial sized farms with thousands of acres and their 'economy of scale'. Pop on over and start a farm! We could use more of them around here.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Niele da Kine Hawaii sounds like a great place to farm. Can you grow cool season crops like broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, brussel sprouts, etc? What about bugs that attack your crops?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule how does the driving/sitting affect DHs hip? Sometimes it's ok, other times it's worse thank walking all day. Hope it is "ok".

Weather great here. You guys in TX are getting or prepping for more rain...well, more than just TX!! These storms are too much of all of it. Used to have a lot of them begin and curve on up the East coast but, last few years they have taken heavily to the Gulf basin.

Coffee early today -- oddly, only one cup :caf just felt "done". Slept well also. Not my usual start to a day -- but, nice. Think I was just ready to get going.

The does are "all" in season. I swear I have never SEEN so many wagging tails at one time!! They are riding each other. FOUR went in with the buck. Yeah, he was really excited. By afternoon, he was probably looking for me to take them. So, I did. Three were already laying around and jumped to come out. Fourth came out as the buck went to the fence where Number 5 was flirting. He may never get his tongue back in his mouth. :lol: #5 is not going in now, she's going to have to wait a couple more months....big enough but, I am not ready for her to be bred. She's 9 months but, I'm holding for 12. No doubt there will be another 5 or 6 for next week....glad I'm home all week! Everyone will be busy. Will make for March kids and the grass coming in, warmer weather....just that Jan kidding is better for sales, earlier in summer. Oh, well. :idunno

Time to close coops. :frow

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Always good to get work on the house done.

I was awakened by goats screaming....not the roos! Put 2 more in with the buck. Just don't need more than 7 kidding in a week. Others will have to wait until next cycle, if they are ready today. :old Next week late, I'll crop a few more in the buck yard. Will keep them kidding a week later than this first group, maybe. I swear, those girls are LOUD! I coud hear them because my windows have been open with this cool weather for about 2 weeks. When closed, can't hear them. But windows open, AC off.

Trailer backed to gates for loading these bucklings to go to sale tomorrow. I'm ready...they are also squealing for these girls. It's a little tense here right now. :D =D yeah, shake the feed bucket, open a gate, toss feed into trailer -- they load up! Very nice. Then I will be able to re-cut and disc the "garden" pen they've been in all week. Depending on when the hurricane rains drift in.....

They rolled and baled hay across the street today. Next week, after rain clears, I'll get some delivered. The rolls anyway, as the neighbor brings those over with his big tractor for me. Will trailer in the bales when I've finished storage room cleaning up..

It's pretty quiet around. Where's everyone? Bay is on a short trip. @mystang89 working....we need Mrs Mystang to talk with us! Sure miss @CntryBoy777 -- respect his decision but, miss his posts. AND @Devonviolet hasn't check in for a while....hope all is well. Hello to all......you are missed. There are others, I'm sure, these just come to mind. :frow

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee, I slept late! We got back late Thursday night, we’ll late for us. LOL Our son has the weekend off and came in yesterday afternoon. Russell delivered hay, said his wife and kids were gone, so we invited him to supper and pumpkin pie made from the giant pink banana squash I grew. Supper was pizzas made on flour tortillas. 13 year old spent night with a friend, is making the rounds, will be back Sunday.

We are having sausage with breakfast this morning. The 4 year old asked for stick sausage (skinless sausage I make through the link maker on my meat grinder) but will be happy with round sausage, which is what she calls the patties.

Watching cartoons. Coffee, BJ snoring in his recliner, DS and the 5 year old still asleep. It’s a good morning.

I made extra pie crust dough. Today we are going to make hand pies. I’ll trace a hand, cut it out for a pattern, then use it to cut out dough hands. Raspberry jam goes in the palm, put a hand on top and bake. Should be fun!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on. Didn't get the roof finished due to the rain. But got trees trimmed around our fences here at home. Always something we can do. Still need to get limbs picked up. Trimmed the pines but also the mulberries growing in them. :barnie
DH wants to try to finish the shingle repair this afternoon we'll see. Depends on the wind.

Latest posts