Coffee anyone ?

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, I take that back, just turned on the boob tube and the storm isn't here yet. But it has been downgraded and looks like we'll get a drizzle instead of the thunderstorms dumping the rain we need. Phooey.
@Baymule It's been raining here is around 3:30am. A steady medium rain with occasional wind gusts. Hopefully storm doesn't run out of rain before it gets to you.

I'm waiting till daylight to start my drive. I'm at other plant today, 70 miles of wet road. Ugh.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Anything full on plastic is best. (Polyester or whatever synthetic)

You can get a sweater from a thrift store, but they do sell coats specifically for goats.

Or maybe she just needs a warm spot to sleep?

We once had kids in nasty cold... I put a heating pad duct taped into a freezer ziplock in cardboard box filled with hay and a fleece lap blanket (all synthetic). They snuggled in there whenever they were cold, then popped back out when they warmed up.

She’s about 120 lbs for reference. She will sleep in the chicken coop sometimes, and they have plenty of goat shelters. We traditionally get very wet winters and she gets chased from shelter to shelter and gets wet in between. She’s also leaning to elderly and has usually just had a thin coat for whatever reason.
I can kind of sew, and I have a sewing machine I need to learn how to use. But what materials would I use? It would need to be something more water proof than not.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally a frost this morning! Hoping DD1's allergies settle now. It's been pretty crazy, Mom's doing ok.
Yesterday we got the potatoes dug and a few last veggies. I grabbed a bunch of green beans to save to plant next year. I couldn't find my favorite kind this past Spring, though had a few from the year before. This way I have my favorite kind. Hopefully they'll dry out and keep. Kids and DH carved their pumpkins last night. Oh and my Velveteen Lops are still not an accepted ARBA breed as they failed again... which means another 3 years or more. Will be cutting their numbers.
IMG_0628.JPGIMG_0629.JPG

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It has been totally pouring rain for days here. I'm not sure how much longer we can do this. South pasture flooded AGAIN. poor thing has horrible drainage. The ducks are happy though. We need more ducks....

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I put a heating pad duct taped into a freezer ziplock in cardboard box filled with hay and a fleece lap blanket (all synthetic). They snuggled in there whenever they were cold, then popped back out when they warmed up.
The goat version of a Mama Heating Pad brooder!

Kids and DH carved their pumpkins last night.
Don't they get a bit sad looking by Halloween if you carve them 5 days early?

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Afternoon all, woke up still not feeling great and ended up bribing myself with a trip to the school Starbucks for a drink in class (after my morning drink of course), just to get to class.
Not sure what all will get put on the agenda for this afternoon, or what will get pushed to tomorrow.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not too much... 5 days is about right. Some years it's been into November so it's all good, they don't last forever and we enjoy when we can.

Maybe they last longer if they haven't had a candle burning in them? We used to do the pumpkin no earlier than the day before Halloween and by 2 days after Halloween the pumpkins would be shriveling and molding.

You need to rest up Poka!!!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
She’s about 120 lbs for reference. She will sleep in the chicken coop sometimes, and they have plenty of goat shelters. We traditionally get very wet winters and she gets chased from shelter to shelter and gets wet in between. She’s also leaning to elderly and has usually just had a thin coat for whatever reason.
I can kind of sew, and I have a sewing machine I need to learn how to use. But what materials would I use? It would need to be something more water proof than not.
You want something that doesn't absorb water, so plastic. Any artificial fiber in a fleece material. Polyester is a great choice.
Mom's doing ok.
Good to hear.

Afternoon all, woke up still not feeling great and ended up bribing myself with a trip to the school Starbucks for a drink in class (after my morning drink of course), just to get to class.
Not sure what all will get put on the agenda for this afternoon, or what will get pushed to tomorrow.
Ok.....

I am lost.

Are you in a public school? And the public school has a Starbucks?

Latest posts