Coffee anyone ?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I'm looking in my supply room and amazed at the accumulation! Had a bunch of $4 coupons on TP & paper towels. It was $5.95, plus $1 digital coupon, plus my $4 one...with tax $1.03 for 8 dble rolls and my coupons running out. What was I to do???? Yeah, bought. Loaded!!! With already stashed, have 100 rolls? PT ended up at 32 cent each...have 16 rolls but rarely use except canning season. That made it ok. No more!!

You can't go wrong with paper goods at 32 cents each. If water gets scarce think of the savings on laundry. And if you can start a rumor about the lack of TP and paper towels (now that you have bought them all LOL) you can sell at a profit. Good work!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
produce auction
Never heard of such a thing!

TSK TSK! What happened to the paper plates!
TSK! TSK! Paper plates are environmentally unfriendly. Doesn't take much to wash a dish that can be used repeatedly for many many decades. We're using plates that were my grandmother's "dailies". She died in '83 and had lived with my mother and step-father for a few years so they were packed away. I think she got the plates in the 50's.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a pretty good produce auction here also. About an hour north of me; many Mennonite farmers in that area. Prices are pretty good but sometimes quantities are big. Sometimes it makes you wonder why you go through all the trouble to grow the garden... Hey, I know all the positives.... not saying not to grow a garden... but the produce auction is a good way to get a quantity all at once especially if you want to do some major canning/freezing/pickle making.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
TSK! TSK! Paper plates are environmentally unfriendly. Doesn't take much to wash a dish that can be used repeatedly for many many decades.

Bruce! I am shocked! Have you never dusted sandwich crumbs off a aper plate and used it again? :gig

Environmentally friendly or not, using paper plates in the midst of a remodel or move prevents exhaustion. They can be seen as a necessary health product!

I also have a set of Bavarian bone china from grandmother, several platters from the great grandparents' kitchen service, and bone china service for 30 which we use for family dinners. (I am leaving that 30 plate service in CA with my kids so they can host the family dinners for 20-30 members.)

However, I don't use those good dishes when remodeling for fear of breaking them. During a previous remodeling at the old house my mother-in-law accidently threw away half the silverware thinking it was disposable. Had to buy another set.

Anyway, I consider paper plates to have their place in the world - Camping, remodeling, and outside dining on a concrete patio with small children. Otherwise, we use the kitchen Pfalzgraf which I stocked up on at a church rummage sale and have been using for 15 years. Good stuff, and wish I could find some more.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey @Mini Horses are you getting much rain over there??? We have had more than our fair share here... Looked like you got some again last night... it wandered from here and went east. Are you closer to Richmond or Norfolk area?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes it makes you wonder why you go through all the trouble to grow the garden... Hey, I know all the positives.... not saying not to grow a garden... but the produce auction is a good way to get a quantity all at once especially if you want to do some major canning/freezing/pickle making.
Agree!! Plus if you don't have room to grow some things. I've talked to people who did stop gardens and just bought auction to can. Both garden & canning are big work!

Rain....over 2" Thur evening then lighter overnight Thurs and off/on until 2ish Fri afternoon. Possibles late today & tomorrow. But it's hot here!

Tomatoes were limp and I had to water, now so much rain they are splitting. 🙄. Garden reverting to pasture....tractor down, can't till. :eek: :thup to my eyeballs in work this week. 😩

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hardly ever grow corn anymore. Except I like the Country Gentleman Shoe peg white corn... and they did not germinate well due to the old seeds this year. But corn takes alot of room. Like the vining squash and all if the mulch gets down early... not alot of work once they get going and like winter squashes... only pick late in the year to keep...
Have not kept up as well as should ahve either this year due to issues with the mower and such. But... still ahead of the year before of no garden and I have enjoyed part of it... NOT the DAM#@D DEER PART !!!! Potatoes are starting to die down...
Still it is a good start for next year when I both feel better; knees working better, and got it tilled this year to start the ground working up part... and there will be a fence next year come HE// or HIGH WATER...