Coffee anyone ?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m so excited I’m going to post this here first, and then go over to SS and put it on the poultry thread over there!

I’ve been working on a “Purple Egger” project for years. I started with some nice brown eggs that had a purplish bloom on them, and at the time my only rooster was a Penedesenca. I’m not sure which hens laid the purplish eggs, but their offspring laid even better ones. Since then I’ve been using roosters from those breedings or other dark gene roosters such as Penedesenca or Black Copper Marans. And setting the eggs with the best “plum bloom”.

Well last year’s pullets are coming into lay now, and today I got the best “purple” egg ever!! :celebrate:bow:love:weee:clap:jumpy:highfive::yesss:

View attachment 97425
View attachment 97424
View attachment 97423

Not sure what I will do for the next generation, because the only dark egg roosters I have now are siblings to the pullets, and they are all from sibling to sibling breedings. So I am going to have to bring in a rooster from a good egg color breed. I’m leaning towards Brahma or Langshan.
OMG that’s absolutely FANTASTIC!!!! Huge congrats on that!!! 💜💜💜

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you seen anything this? (Thistle) I know Texas does everything bigger but…
I’ll find a way to handle it. Wonder if US military could weaponize …. no I wouldn’t want this getting around. Lordy what beasts. Plants.
Cross a thistle with a nuclear missile…… the thistle would be worse.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m so excited I’m going to post this here first, and then go over to SS and put it on the poultry thread over there!

I’ve been working on a “Purple Egger” project for years. I started with some nice brown eggs that had a purplish bloom on them, and at the time my only rooster was a Penedesenca. I’m not sure which hens laid the purplish eggs, but their offspring laid even better ones. Since then I’ve been using roosters from those breedings or other dark gene roosters such as Penedesenca or Black Copper Marans. And setting the eggs with the best “plum bloom”.

Well last year’s pullets are coming into lay now, and today I got the best “purple” egg ever!! :celebrate:bow:love:weee:clap:jumpy:highfive::yesss:

View attachment 97425
View attachment 97424
View attachment 97423

Not sure what I will do for the next generation, because the only dark egg roosters I have now are siblings to the pullets, and they are all from sibling to sibling breedings. So I am going to have to bring in a rooster from a good egg color breed. I’m leaning towards Brahma or Langshan.
OHMYGOSH!!!! That is amazing. Beautiful color on all of them. I'm jealous. When I got my first chickens my 'goal' was to have both a colorful chicken yard & an easter basket of colorful eggs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. Going to hitch flatbed trailer and go get my chicken tractor frame at son’s house. Moved Cooper and girls across driveway to Ringo’s old pen. Cooper butted Sheba and Buford. Son came in last night, he’s getting a trailer and going back to get a 1964 grain truck he bought. Then he’ll go back and get his camp trailer. Job ended, he has several options but might be off a week or three.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Finnie. The egg is awesome!! Beautiful color 🥰
Thank you!
OHMYGOSH!!!! That is amazing. Beautiful color on all of them. I'm jealous. When I got my first chickens my 'goal' was to have both a colorful chicken yard & an easter basket of colorful eggs.
Thank you! That was my goal too. At first I wanted pretty color feathers and pretty color eggs on the same chicken. (Smaller facilities/fewer birds.) But once I started breeding them, it’s kind of funny because now if the egg color is right I don’t care what the bird looks like. And in my feather color breeding projects, I don’t care what the egg color looks like. 😂
Hours until sun up.
Awake .... so might as well get up.
A little BYH, kitty cuddles & coffee before the day really gets going.
I saw a stray tom outside my bedroom window the other day. I think he was hunting chipmunks. (Go kitty!) Silly thing was going about it all wrong. He was reaching his front leg all the way into the downspout up to his shoulder and feeling around for the prey. Um, Kitty, I don’t think the chipmunk is going to voluntarily walk up to your claws. 🤔

Anyway, he saw me through the window and split. I hope he comes back and hunts more. The chipmunk population has exploded since my last cat died a couple years ago.
Coffee is ready. Going to hitch flatbed trailer and go get my chicken tractor frame at son’s house. Moved Cooper and girls across driveway to Ringo’s old pen. Cooper butted Sheba and Buford. Son came in last night, he’s getting a trailer and going back to get a 1964 grain truck he bought. Then he’ll go back and get his camp trailer. Job ended, he has several options but might be off a week or
Did the dogs jump up on their new platform and get away from Cooper?

Nice that your son will be around a little while until the next job.

OMG that’s absolutely FANTASTIC!!!! Huge congrats on that!!! 💜💜💜
Thank you! I love how you used purple for the hearts! I hadn’t thought of that when I was looking for every emoji I could find!