Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our colder weather is coming in. By weekend I will have more moisture falling -- rain, mix, snow? My farm is always "on the line" it seems. I'm certain it's because of the lay of the land in the area, in general...couple rivers, coast, and "hilly" on other side. I'm just on that line between a lot. Weekend should be fun :D All agree -- wet is coming, again.

Of more "concern" is the colder weather and thoughts of ice on troughs. :( My weather site says that yesterday, when it was 68 here, that same date in 2018 was a mere 10 ! Yes, we had a week of that hauling hot water weather. So, jugs are ready for our Jan/Feb winter. Along with insulated boots, gloves and all that jazz. Well, it IS winter :idunno

Still, today is to be 50-55, very windy but temps dropping into upper 30s tonight...down from there for balance of week. In fact, couple nights upper 20s. :hit

Not much happening around my area beyond above. I'm slowly merging back into work. 1/2 days thru Sat. Wish government would resolve things & get back to work.

Hope you guys have a good day. :frow

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses we are in the "snow" area. No line right in this area....It was a pretty nice day yesterday, tested 2 herds and was hurting last night.... about 9 hours total in the barns... but it got real windy last night and we got some rain showers on top of it. Was 52 at midnight, been dropping ever since, down to 42 at 9.am. Sun is out.
Supposed to get 3-5 " of snow... so they say right now. Sat aft. through Sun eve...maybe into Monday... Oh well it is January.

Don't blow away out there today.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is awful Bay! How are DD and SIL holding up?
Conversations have been short. I'm sure everything has been a whirlwind. The 11 year old flew out yesterday, a neighbor took her to the Dallas airport, her mom met the plane so she could go to the memorial service today. They will leave tomorrow and be home tomorrow afternoon. We have 2 little girls that will be so happy to see their Mommy and Daddy.

I have hundreds of alerts, it's going to take a while to catch up. LOL

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan YEP -- you get a good amount, looks like. I didn't even want to mention it, hoping you could get another ay under your bet before the reality set in. :hide I won't get a lot of any thing & what comes will leave pretty quick this time. You will most likely have a mess into mid week. :( Hopefully your test farms will be after that -- would help. I'm sure they are on back roads with no grading. Wooohooo, retirement is coming soon!!

Any looksee on the house/property you mentioned?

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just order 2 round (4x5) bales of hay to be delivered later, $60 each. The 4x4 rounds are $45 each. Just curious to see what hay price is in your(all y'all) areas?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just order 2 round (4x5) bales of hay to be delivered later, $60 each. The 4x4 rounds are $45 each. Just curious to see what hay price is in your(all y'all) areas?
IF, there were any local hay available, it would certainly be over $80 for a 4x5.
Any hay available in East texas is coming in from out of state, to distribution points in Tx and La.

Nacodoches Tx Craigslist:
2018 Cut Coastal Bermuda Rolls (barn stored): $89/roll

2018 Cut Bahia Rolls: $70/roll
Sounds good huh? But, to get those prices, you have to order a truckload of 46 bales and it's coming out of Northern Fla.

Hay for Sale - $90 (Grapeland Tx)

Alfalfa hay 3x4x8 bales weighing around 1400 pounds new load just in 275.00 per bale can be picked up in Overton Tx

And, this is another, and very typical ad this year:
https://collegestation.craigslist.org/grd/d/austin-coastal-mix-hay-big-round-bales/6788134984.html

https://collegestation.craigslist.org/grd/d/fairfield-cow-hay-round-bales/6790655680.html

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
:ep holy s***!
Is that the norm around this time of year?
Why is it so much higher in TX compared to up here? I'd think that we have to pay more because we NEED hay around here in the winter time, there's no grass to eat at all, and growing season is so much shorter.