Coffee anyone ?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on,
@MatthewsHomestead so glad Belle is recovering, hopefully she leaves the horses alone....

Ball is done. Might have a cookout/carry-in for softball. It was a tough tournament but am somewhat relieved. Pre-fair judging started yesterday, fair starts Saturday.

Another doe is nesting and all previous bunnies are doing great!

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@MatthewsHomesteadGlad mom & pups doing well. I'm sure they want to be with them but not a good idea now. You know and are "suffering" through it.

Coffee is on if anyone up and ready. Fresh goat milk if you use if you lighten your coffee. In fact, I need to get out there and milk one doe pretty soon. Pulled her boys last night and they were in with dad --lot of screaming going on by mom!

And the hen with chicks in the regular coop has advised those chicks they are "on their own"!! :D One tried to set next and scoot under a wing. She reprimanded it quickly. The other four were together and talking about it! I moved #5 with them....all still chattering as I shut the coop door. They are fine & run around all day without her...then the flock dynamics at night. :lol: She taught them to be great foragers! They're couple months old. Have 5 more to integrate with them in a week or so... were with hen & fox got her. I've been raising since.

Home yesterday and didn't go to the chicken swap. :D Decided I didn't want to, needed to work at home & did. Reworked the fence on a small coop area and happy to have it ready to use, again. One section of top netting to add today, about an hour, just tedious work to connect it all. :idunno But, ok.

@Mini Horses you are starting to enjoy the retired life! LOL

:D Well, I am practicing! Since work has slowed way down, I have slack time and loving it, again. Actually, only the Spring "reset season" is so demanding. Then, it can be only 10- 15 hrs a week. THAT is great It's the 60 hr weeks for 3 months of resets that kill you.:old Older I get, the more I dislike that time. :lol: And, this year the DGD take to school thing was new. :rolleyes: She will have her driver license for next yr. Will be a senior then. Then DD can enjoy her work schedule without my help.

Ahhh...2nd cup is waiting. So is the coop run netting. :caf No rush. Oh, yeah, the doe in milk may think so...…..ooops. :D =D Pulling 2 more kids to wean, which will add another full time milking doe this week. See why I need to retire? Cheesemaking will start soon.:idunno It's still enjoyable and my choice to do.

Lovely 57 out there this AM...low humidity & going to upper 70s. A perfect day, IMO. I've only needed to run AC about 4-6 hrs a day to maintain a nice temp. Love saving electric! But -- 90s coming later in week, so that will change. :D

Enjoy your farm, your animals, your chores!! Love your life! :yesss:

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m going for my second cup. Storms rolling in tonight and rain predicted all week. Hope there is enough clear weather windows to finish chicken slaughter. I’m ready for them to be GONE. The giant Bermuda I planted is about an inch tall, maybe I’ll scatter some fertilizer before the rain hits.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for the encouragement. Its hard to do that. Mostly its Belle I feel worse for. I did let her check on them once so she could see they were ok but it was look no see. She seemed happy they were ok and witnessed for herself that they were eating from a bowl. Not as much wining from her since. We have her free in the kitchen, bathroom and my room where she always sleeps. Puppets are in the front hall in the living room. Can't have them wondering around and getting lost in my kids room.

Belle is definitely retired.

Supposed to just be overcast today. We had rain yesterday. Maybe.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
She taught them to be great foragers!
Angel has done the same with the 8 that will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. Taught so well that one must scratch the ground then look down to see if they found anything that they are doing the same thing when they jump up into the hens' hanging feeder. First you kick out a lot of pellets, then look down to see if there is any food under your beak. Well YEAH there is since you are STANDING in a bowl of feed :he

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
one boy left to find a home. my bio mom (raised more like an aunt or big sister bc gparents raised me) is taking one. she lives in NY and will be coming down in August. she will send the $ for the shots and care until she comes to get him. that gives me time to work on getting a good foundation built for her. he should be able to walk on a leash and know a couple basic commands like sit and come. puppers, mom, and momma cat with her two babies are all fed. still have chickens, ducks and the barn kitties to feed. That will be our oldest childs job. then we finally move my chicks. should be a semi boring day. :fl

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are supposed to go get feed this morning. DH is knocked out in his recliner, so I don't know how that will go. LOL Then we are going to set up my sheep working equipment we bought off Craigs List yesterday. I am so excited to have the equipment. It sure will make life easier. I've been putting up cow panels to run them through and it hasn't worked very well.

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/score-sheep-handling-equipment.39777/

Latest posts