Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm tired. We pickforked the sheep hay compost pile in the mule, went to the horse barn and pitchforked it out in a bare spot. I wanted to get the coop moved, but we got distracted by green briars and spent the next several hours hacking away. We started a burn pile, dragged up branches and briars. We got tired and quit. I went back out to the horse hay ring, it's on the pipeline, worst soil on the place. Every time we get a new round bale, we move the hay ring. We are using the dropped, trampled, pooped on hay to enrich the lousy dirt. There was a big wad of hay, so I pitchforked it around to cover more area.

While I was doing that, a neighbor called, asking if we wanted a pig. It turned out that friends had trapped a feral pig, young one about 40 pounds. I told him that we had plenty of pork, why didn't he take the pig. He didn't have a pen. I told him to shoot it and bring it to me, I'd slaughter it for him. He and his wife are both on disability, they are poor, and a pig would take some money off the grocery bill.

I sharpened up knives, took them, a wash pan, jug of Clorox, and rags outside and a table. They showed up and he put a dead pig on the table. She was red, probable half domestic pig. I skinned her, he helped by pulling her this way or that way. I used a cleaver to cut the aitch bone between the back legs. I place the cleaver, then beat it with a hammer to break the bone. Then I did the same thing with the sternum. After opening her all the way, it was a lot easier to gut the cavity. With a full stomach and intestines, I sure didn't want to nick them! I constantly washed the pig, the table and my hands. DH helped by taking over washing duty, spraying when I asked him to. I quartered the pig, cut off the loins and every bit of meat I could get, leaving the spine and rib cage. We bagged up the hams, front legs and the other meat. Our neighbors went home happy. It was a nice pig, with dark red meat. Yum.

Then it was time to do chores. I came in and got a shower. Sat down, just tired. Did my good deed for the day.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
You DID do good! I've got several of those 40 pounders waiting on me....but I'm gonna do some larger ones this weekend. Have some help coming and I promised them we'd split the meat 50/50. It would be nice if I actually knew who these folks are that are coming to help, lol.

I placed a Craigslist ad and promised to split meat with an experienced home butcher. I contacted the first one who responded to my ad. (I got several responses - back-ups if these folks flake out on me)

DH was like - uh, you invited strangers with guns and sharp knives to come to our house? Yep! LOL - nothing like an adventure and some new friends, right?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bay -- you did good. Bet the couple were very happy & sure helped with their grocery shopping! Even a small pig will give the two of them several nice meals.

FEM, I just want to sit and watch....hope DH gets some pics for us! That's real ambition!! :rolleyes::pop

Knew someone who used to do similar with old hens. Called a group together, butcher, share. But, these were "known" people. :D =D

Guess you'll know those that show pretty soon. Nothing like meeting over guns, knives and guts. :eek::lol::lol:

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on! I know it's late but feel free to have some ;)
@Bruce i'm about to rant about the weather...:p
I think the sun is officially gone! The past 3 days the forecast says sunny and 70 and it's been grey and cloudy, not even a little bit of sun! Forecast says it's going to be 71 degrees and full sun tomorrow...we'll see about that!! Still no frost yet! I'm used to New England frosts in early September so this is nice!
Can anyone tell me if I should bring my Hibiscus and Ferns indoors before the frost?
Not sure if they'll make it outside through the winter. :hu

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I woke up at 3 AM and couldn't go back to sleep. Coffee is on, already drank mine and had a bowl of oatmeal.
Have to go to Tyler today, to Academy. Called all over the place for sausage casings yesterday, NOBODY had them. Not the slaughter places, not grocery stores, what the heck? Of all places, Academy had the hog casings and collegen casings. Academy is clear the other side of Tyler, probably 35+ miles away. We still have huge amounts of Wilbur, the 820 pound boar hog. My idea is to make smoked sausage because we love it and will eat it up, versus a slab of ham steak (not cured) and shoulder roast. I'm tired of pork roast.

Latest posts