Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So you are saying you wouldn't have wanted to go out with me at 7:30 AM when it was -7.4°F to put the trash and recycles at the road and then tend to morning animal chores??

CORRECT!! NOT my kind of weather....nope, not me. Sorry, Bruce, you would be out there alone. :lol:

Shortest day of the year! More sunlight starting tomorrow! OK, so the simple things bring me joy.

And ME, toooooo. I'm gonna count every minute from now until we have a "decent" day length. I'm a daylight at 6AM until 9PM type. :old While I'm at it, nothing below 40 or above 85 degrees.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:woot :celebrate :clap :weee
Shortest day of the year! More sunlight starting tomorrow! OK, so the simple things bring me joy.
Yep, a WHOLE less than one second for us! I'm sure I will notice.

Of course sunrise will continue to get later. Currently 7:25, it will continue getting later until it is at 7:29 on the 30th, continuing that until Jan 6th when it will reverse. Back to 7:25 on Jan 16th. But the sun will set 1 minute later tomorrow than it will today and a bit later every day after. That is the one that affects MY behavior as it means I will slowly begin to go out later to carry the 3 STUPID chickens from the feed room to the coop after all the hens have gone to roost. Why these same three INSIST on being carried into the safety of the coop every night is beyond my minimal level of comprehension.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are a few hours into "official" winter....it's frost & fog here. Looks strange with white into white & the tree line is a barely seen shadow. I know there is a house somewhere across the road -- but even the road is "gone". However, they say we will see the sun later and that it will go from our current 26 to 50! Pretty normal this time of year.

Those of you with snow, hope YOU enjoy it (some do) but, this is as "white" as I want. :lol:

I'm enjoying day 2 of 6 that I get to stay home. :yesss: Been pacing myself to enjoy being & doing, not just rushing to get it done. It's a little different and a lovely change. Had a week off about a month ago. Maybe this is a trend. No, just normal job slowdown. Right now entire month of Jan looks like 5 days at home & 2 at work weeks. Feb will pick up a little and March starts killer hours of work. Would be nice to have the does kid, while I'm home to help separate.

One of the things I'm planning is to get done with the prep of barn stalls for kidding pens. I see a load of shavings in my immediate future. LOL Also, a big clean out and re-bed the goat barn -- it's a BIG run-in. The garden area will benefit from some added cover to finish out over winter. It's all good. Don't see extreme cold for next couple weeks, so the power wash/disinfect of stalls should dry well over a couple of days. All dirt floor but, rubber stall mats in front 2/3. Works well for the horses and the goats have done ok with them -- I cover with shavings -- but they don't segregate their potty to rear of stalls as a horse will. Easy to hose off tho, once soiled shavings removed. Lot of mulch will happen over next few months.

Several of the old hens have begun to come back into lay, Plus the 5 young hens grown out from mid summer hatch have started up. My customers are happy! I am happy because I like to collect eggs....and egg sales help feed bills! The seven 4 mo old pullets I added late summer began laying a couple months ago & are very dependable now. Things are picking up.

Time to go feed. Enjoy your day.....:frow

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
making me jealous bay lol, the kids had alittle to much excitement yesterday both my boys got a late nap and stayed up late. the younger boy kept falling asleep and waking up all the way till about 12 were he decided to stay up and play. hubby tried for about a hour at that point while i dealt with baby and still couldn't get both boys to sleep one went down but the younger didnt so i got done with baby went and dealt with the 1 year old and finally got him to bed about 2 and of course they wake up around 8am bouncing off the walls so they will have an early or on time nap today and the be forced to play outside till dinner time life is so unfair to the lol. my husband dad is having his Christmas party today we see if we make it, baby and i probably won't go to avoid exposing her to lots of people. also need to send hubby to store to get the a2 milk our older sob can drink he pretty well out and can't stomach the regular a1 protein milk so a2 it is until i get goats again. my parents apparently think my life is chaos lol the had three kids my brothers are 2 years apart and i an 10 years younger the both of them lol. i enjoy my chaos