Coffee anyone ?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is on. Drinking out of my new Indiana state park mug... my sis and her family and my Dad are coming this afternoon and spending the night. :celebrate
My hay shed is full enough for a month and DH got the roofs patched up yesterday. Today (before company gets here) we need to clean the bunny shed, move the camper to the farm and split, carry in firewood. House needs some attention too.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
went and saw two houses today one you could tell needed foundation work the floor wasnt level and neither were several door frames and cracks everywhere that house is no away. the second house was small and cute had one acre with it but lots of surrounding farm land so possibly able to purchase more land later. the kids lived it they did not want to leave lol. should be two more houses at some point. we what happens.
Yes definitely check before you make an offer.... how fun, it's stressful looking at houses but fun too.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@promiseacres sounds like a full day -- and night! Enjoy their visit.

@Xerocles I think it's a lovely & colorful coop! You still have it?

Well it was a balmy 40 here this morning and heading to mid 60s. Way above the normal 50 day/30 night. Not complaining!! LOL

I've had 8 beautiful days at home. Alas, it ends today. Work this afternoon & sun afternoon. Hey, then another week at home!! I'm liking it, a lot! Getting some things done and plenty more to do. :lol: Weather has been great. Unusual -- we all know that quite often the nasty weather coincides with precious time off.

DS turned 53 yesterday :epEven he was amazed.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
we are they looked like they were getting some property measurements done baised off all the tape. and it's so an hour from any grocery store so not prime realistate for the subdivision the realtor checking on that for us as well some other property in poth tx and they have some ordience limiting animals we also checking on on says only six hens dont know if that's per acre like all the other animal limits or not no rooster which is kinda sad i like my roosters .no pigs, fowl party poopers. but the houses are cheaper there by that i mean you get the same size house and land near us for 300000 compared to 150000 big difference. some things i can live with i suppose lol. hubby has a first interview with one company this morning and has a second interview with another on Monday he says the first conversation he had with the guy was very promising so yeah however that one is in kennedy tx so we would look at poth more then. but we find out what he offers hubby. he talking if they ask him to work while he off from his current compaining he be doing that i am fine with it ,he will be make extra money which works for us. there alot of tiny town areas that by towns i mean they just have a some people living in the area not even sure there is a post office. we wanting to stay close to 160000 which isnt much but we can was my afford the payments. which we more inclined to go for .

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mornin', y'all!:frow

Our first Christmas since my mother passed away . . . Dad and the brother I call "the Ubergeek" did a great job of hosting; while Mom was sorely missed, it wasn't as painful as I feared it might be. Mom really loved to decorate, and though she had scaled back in the last few years, when my brother was digging through the Christmas stuff, he was like, "why do you need 3 nativity sets? You only have one mantle to put them on" - I'm not sure even Mom could have explained that one.

I think I'm beginning to understand why, when she was at the hospice, Mom kept apologizing for leaving so much "mess" for us to deal with, though. Love you, Mom; though we may grouse, it's a labor of love, and we really don't mind at all.

:thChainsaws. Why did it have to be chainsaws? Between 2018 being so wet, 2019 starting off so dry, and two hurricanes (Florence and Dorian), most of the pines on our place have been lost. Some got blown down, but many are standing dead. A few days ago, my husband decided to try to deal with a few of the most worrisome ones. Trees #1 and 2 went pretty much where he wanted them to, but #3 was determined to be a problem. For one thing, it was leaning slightly. We moved the cars out of range, and I also shifted a bench seat - but not far enough. Hubs tied a rope to the tree to try to encourage it to go the way he wanted, but I had a really bad feeling about this one . . . I figured, I could stand and argue, or go in the house and pray that I was wrong. I chickened out and chose the latter.

Long story short(er), the tree went the wrong way on the "hinge." The rope held, but it didn't pull the tree the other way, it caused it to swing sideways as it fell, so it landed squarely on the bench seat and even clipped the house slightly. When Hubs saw which way the tree was heading, he jumped back out of the way, but the chainsaw was stuck and the bar got mangled beyond repair (the case got cracked, but it's otherwise still usable). Hubby dug out his battery-powered chainsaw and tried to rescue the gas-powered one, but his valiant little electric finally gave up the ghost - the motor burned out. Fortunately, it managed to hang in there just long enough to free the other chainsaw, and for some reason, Hubs had a spare bar and chain for it, so the tree did get cut up and removed from the front of the house. When it became clear that the electric was no longer among the living, Hubby found a beefier version on eBay. When it got here, it was already dark and cold out, so he assembled it on the kitchen counter (*sigh* "You might be a redneck if . . . .") After correcting whatever the previous owner had done to mutilate the chain, he has declared the new one a total upgrade from its predecessor. Merry Christmas, Hubs.

Thank you all for your compliments on the ornaments. :hugsas requested, here are some of the others: cardinals
20191226_101322.jpg

and the chicken gang. I've done a few one-offs of other colors and breeds, but this is the basic flock.
20191226_082650.jpg

And @Mini Horses you asked about goats. I tried this yesterday - do you think it works?
20191227_083901.jpg

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you fit many chickens in that coop? Looks smallish?
Well, it has the requisite 24 sq ft open floor space mandated by the BYC chicken nazis, (6 chickens-no chicken math. I beg ppl to take eggs, cause 6 chicks give me more than I can use.) plus 3 spacious nest boxes, PLUS a 16 cubic foot enclosed storage area. With our relatively mild weather, chickens only go inside to lay and sleep. Even in inclimate weather, they choose to hang out UNDER the coop. And the run is about 275 sq ft, 1/2 in wire up 6 ft (with 2' apron around) and covered with chicken wire for overhead protection. The swing is in the run, suspended from the ridgepole by braided nylon line, about 5 ft above the ground-a 4" dia, 3 ft long sapling. With easy "hoping" access from the coop roof (where they like to hang out). And I haven't seen a chicken on that swing in over 8 months! I also have 30 sq ft of wire "grass area" (currently growing winter rye) covered 2" above ground level so they get green stuff growing through + bugs attracted to it, without being able to scratch the grass to death in that area.
I cringe to mention this, but the coop does NOT have the required 1 sq ft/10 sq ft of floor space ventilation. Only about 2 sq ft ventilation.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
This thing is going to be 12” high!
Is that a typo?

Today (before company gets here) we need to clean the bunny shed, move the camper to the farm and split, carry in firewood.
Heck with that, you don't want the company to be bored, save some of those fun tasks until after they arrive.

says only six hens dont know if that's per acre like all the other animal limits or not no rooster which is kinda sad i like my roosters .no pigs, fowl party poopers.
Probably town zoning ordinance, they don't care if you have 1/4 acre or 14 acres. And no pigs because everyone knows they will stink up the entire neighborhood. Not a lot of knowledge or flexibility behind some of those ordinances.

The 8 houses up the road that runs past the south side of our property (dead end up there) are on property that used to be part of this property. The people we bought the place from had hacked off a chunk, made house lots, put in the road and sold the lots. The "rule" in that neighborhood is NO chickens ... but they can have camelids if they want. Most of the lots are 1 to 2 acres, half on fairly steep slopes mostly treed.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
it's a zoning ordenice the other animal ordience mention if you have two acres you can have 4 goats or sheep per acre, you can a one cow per acre one horse per acre and it said laying hens but was crossed out and put abit later you could have no more the 6 hens but did not say whether that was according to acre size as well or period. but it did say absolutely no roosters, fowl other the chickens and no pigs.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stay away from any places that have those type of ordinances if you can. They will wind up amending them in the future when they get their first complaint about a sheep or goat that got loose. If they allow horses, then what about donkeys? Can you imagine what a hullaballou there would be over a donkey braying? The roosters are because of the noise/crowing, early in the morning. God forbid anyone has to be woken up before daylight.
Most of those ordinances are for the whole lot that you have, regardless of the number of acres. The "lot" is considered the unit. But if it says 4 per acre on a 2 acre lot them maybe not. Really, try to find something that is not in a restricted place.