Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow you guys have been busy. I've been working, so not able to get coffee except in the car! Today I'm off, so wanted to catch up. HOPE to get a couple things done today at home -- we'll see :D It is cooler here, nice sunshine -- probably upper 70s today. Tall grass is very wet here, want to mow field but -- may/may not get to it. :idunno

Had hen hide out on small nest, so 2 of 4 eggs had hatched last night. I'll have to go fight the monster hen today to see if I have 4 now, or ??? Then I need to move her and them tonight. She just can't keep them in the back end of the trailer she is in -- as in tractor trailer -- once they jump down, can't get back up, the chicks that is. :th Always fun times on a farm!

I did put water there for her last night to keep her from leaving for another day. And a panel to keep chicks from coming out to edge. She will stay with them if they can't get to her. Just bought some time. Hoping last 2 get hatched.

Gotta go do something to make my day...:frow

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Done that...but now I don't think I'd do it again. Like @greybeard said, I know where them feet has been....:sick
I know where them feet have been too and it took me awhile to get over it. After I scrub them, scald them, peel them, boil them for hours, strain the broth, jar it up and pressure can it, by golly the finished product is CLEAN.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Usually use the feet in soup stock.

Unless you want to go oriental. I think they cook them like we do chicken wings.
Haven't you heard? The 'O' word is taboo and it's even illegal to use it if one works in any part of the Govt.

"The word 'oriental' does not describe ethnic origin, background or even race; in fact, it has deep and demeaning historical roots".[12]

In 2016, President Barack Obama signed legislation striking the word from federal law.[13]

This FFFR (fried feet fetish relief ) is available from any of the street vendors in the Philippines and in some eateries as a appetizer, traditionally served before the main dish of balult. Just ask for panlasang pinoy, Paa nang Manok (Chicken Feet Adobo), or the easily prononounced version...Adidas.

adidas toes.jpg

(sometimes, the 'toes' are separated from the 'foot and served as 2 different type appetizers one in a bowl as above and the other as a finger food or... Pulutan.

The Communist Red Chinese invented it and call it dim sum style.

You can buy them raw from H-E-B for almost nothing, which IMHO, is 100X what they are worth.

INSTRUCTIONS
PREPARING CHICKEN FEET:

• Use a sharp knife to cut off the nail from the feet. Remove any brownish or yellowish spots from the skin if you see any. Rub the chicken feet with salt all over. Rinse off the salt of the chicken feet in a clean water. Pat them really dry with an absorbent paper towel
    • Preheat enough oil to deep fry the chicken feet. Preferably in a pot or wok that has a lid (because it will splatter when you deep fry them). You may need to do this in batches. While the oil is heating, get the seasoning ingredients ready.
    • Deep fry the chicken feet batch by batch if necessary. Fry until they turn pale golden brown and dry, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken feet and submerge into the ice-cold water. Repeat with the rest of the chicken feet. Let the feet soak in the ice cold water for 2 hours.
STEAMING WITH INSTANT POT OR PRESSURE COOKER:

• Pour 2 cups of water in the inner pot. Place the trivet on top. Transfer the soaked chicken feet in a large bowl (that can fit in your instant pot). Pour the seasoning ingredient over. Place the bowl on top of the trivet. Close the lid and press Pressure Cooker, High Pressure and set the timer to 30 minutes. When the timer is done, do quick release by carefully turning the steam release handle to vent and wait until the pressure valve to collapse all the way and then uncover the lid. Sprinkle some chopped green onion and serve immediately
BRAISING WITH INSTANT POT:

• Press saute on instant pot. Add oil and when it says "hot", add garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute. Add star anises and stir fry for another 30 seconds. Add the chicken feet, oyster sauce, soy sauce, red chili and stir to mix everything. Pour in the water. Turn off saute and close the lid. Press Pressure Cooker, high pressure and set the timer to 25 minutes. Do quick release by carefully turning the steam release handle to vent and wait until the pressure valve to collapse all the way and then uncover the lid. Sprinkle some chopped green onion and serve immediately
STEAMING ON STOVE-TOP:

• Get your steamer ready and bring the water to a boil. Transfer the soaked chicken feet in a large bowl and pour the seasoning ingredient over. Steam for the next 45-50 minutes or until the chicken feet is tender
BRAISING ON STOVE-TOP:

• Preheat a pot with a lid and add cooking oil. Add garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute. Add star anises and stir fry for another 30 seconds. Add the chicken feet, oyster sauce, soy sauce, red chili and stir to mix everything. Pour in the water and let it come to a gentle simmer. Close the lid and let it gently simmer for the next 1 hour or until the chicken feet is tender. Sprinkle some chopped green onion and serve immediately.
INGREDIENTS
1 Tbsp Salt to rub the chicken feet
500 gr chicken feet (just over 1lb)
Cooking oil for deep frying
ice water enough to submerge the fried chicken feet
1 Tbsp cooking oil if braising
SEASONING:
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 Tbsp fresh chopped ginger
2 star anise
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce