Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses what are super blues leghorn? You said they are good moms, do they go broody? They lay blue eggs?
The "Super Blues" are designer chicks that My Pet Chicken worked to develop by crossing blue egg layers with leghorns. They won't divulge the exact crosses and the F2, F3s seem to have the darker blue eggs. Well, a darker TINTED blue. Hoping to get the darker I spent mega buck and bought several about 4 yrs ago. Day olds.

So the roos were mean has shell!! Look & act pure leghorn. The pullets were/are flighty, excellent foragers, excellent layers, large eggs true NINJA moms!! As the years pass the color fades but, still obviously a touch blue there. I was surprised at how many were broody, as leghorns are not & had to come from the ?? crosses. Shell color big disappointment BUT, these girls are still active, laying, setting and all that. So, nice end results. I do get green from those chicks where hen crossed with my Marans roos. Love the colorful eggs. :idunno Also, they are the size of leghorns, slender look. :D =D Like EEs, many crosses can produce these.

Same ole, same ole weather -- no complaints. Back to work today thru Sun with demos. Rain Sun/Mon, so might as well be inside working. Then, slack M-F, so hope farm work gets done. It's my happy place. :D Better be REAL happy because I have a lot to get done. :lol:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
and now that her chicks are grown...I can't tell which she is! :barnie So all white Leghorns get a reprieve.
Sometimes it is good to stand out and sometimes best to blend in with the crowd.

I had the BEST day at work today. I wrote a letter. I put it on my boss's desk because she was out. I sent a copy to HR. It was my official retirement letter!! My last official day working for someone else will be Dec. 31st. But, my last actual day of work will be Dec 13 when Christmas vacation starts. Woo Hoo!
Congrats! Be ready for the "what day is it??" fog. Day of the week isn't so clear when you don't have a set schedule. Every day is Monday or Tuesday or ... No "Hump day", no TGIF, no weekends. The only day I'm really sure of is Sunday since DW doesn't work on Sunday. If she's home, it is Sunday ... except when there is a holiday or she takes some vacation. REALLY screws up my concept of what day it is. Good thing I have reminders on my computer calendar.

Will the Boss be surprised or is she expecting your retirement?

Well, a darker TINTED blue.
Curious. The blue layers that I know of EE, Ameraucana, Araucana and (I think Legbars) have a shell that is blue all the way through, brown eggs are brown tint on a white shell just as green and olive are a brown tint on a blue shell. Is there a breed that tints white shells blue?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The "Super Blues" are designer chicks that My Pet Chicken worked to develop by crossing blue egg layers with leghorns. They won't divulge the exact crosses and the F2, F3s seem to have the darker blue eggs. Well, a darker TINTED blue. Hoping to get the darker I spent mega buck and bought several about 4 yrs ago. Day olds.

So the roos were mean has shell!! Look & act pure leghorn. The pullets were/are flighty, excellent foragers, excellent layers, large eggs true NINJA moms!! As the years pass the color fades but, still obviously a touch blue there. I was surprised at how many were broody, as leghorns are not & had to come from the ?? crosses. Shell color big disappointment BUT, these girls are still active, laying, setting and all that. So, nice end results. I do get green from those chicks where hen crossed with my Marans roos. Love the colorful eggs. :idunno Also, they are the size of leghorns, slender look. :D =D Like EEs, many crosses can produce these.

Same ole, same ole weather -- no complaints. Back to work today thru Sun with demos. Rain Sun/Mon, so might as well be inside working. Then, slack M-F, so hope farm work gets done. It's my happy place. :D Better be REAL happy because I have a lot to get done. :lol:

I would guess it is just Ameraucana x Leghorn.

That way you get 1 blue egg gene which = a very light barely blue. You need 2 blue egg genes to get a better blue egg.

I have a few Ameraucana x Leghorns... they look pretty Leghorn, maybe only a tiny bit fatter than pure Leghorns. Mine do have face fuzz, not lots but some. But I used some very nice pure breed super fluffy faced Ameraucana.

The fuzzy face, in my experience breeds out fast.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had the BEST day at work today. I wrote a letter. I put it on my boss's desk because she was out. I sent a copy to HR. It was my official retirement letter!! My last official day working for someone else will be Dec. 31st. But, my last actual day of work will be Dec 13 when Christmas vacation starts. Woo Hoo!

That's FANTASTIC :celebrate:weee:celebrate:weeeI am sooooo HAPPY FOR YOU :celebrate:clap:clap:love:hugs:hugs:hugs:thumbsup :highfive: :yesss:

Sourland

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm impressed - the coffee tent is still here, and it's even clean. I stopped by to dust things off. BYC is planning an upgrade, and the last time that happened I got locked out for a couple of weeks. This tent became my temporary home. I've brewed an evening pot if anyone wants some coffee - have at it.

Sourland

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

Well done. Be prepared to work twice as hard as ever, but now it's for yourself. :yesss:

Latest posts