Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just because

EDA14B58-C9A4-4A32-9D7B-5ABA1579606A.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Jesusfreak101 lives in the San Antonio area, I live in northeast Texas. We are quite a ways apart, about a 5 or 6 hour drive. If we go to San Antonio, I'll be sure to look her up. Haven't been there in many years. I think every Texan makes a pilgrimage to The Alamo at least once in their life. It is hallowed ground.
Definitely...Not quite the same..but everyone in The tristate area goes to Niagara Falls...not hallowed, but verrrry spectacular!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I walked fences, only a branch on the fence, tree fell right next to fence. I’ll take that and be happy.

View attachment 68756

We got 3 1/2” last night. I don’t think we’ve had that much since last winter. We’d get a quarter inch, a few times we got an inch of rain, just enough to perk things up but never a lot at one time. Really glad to see this!

View attachment 68757

I took a lot of pictures, I’ll post them later. I gotta go back outside!!
Don’t you have a lot of flooding? We get that bad here

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't get my morning coffee till 2:30 this afternoon. Thought I'd have a leisurely morning but looked out the window and all the wet heavy snow we got yesterday and all night( and still coming down when I got up), had collapsed the Shelter Logic shed protecting my Farmall Cub and one end of the alfalfa stack. Worked outside for 6 hours and I really need my coffee now.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't get my morning coffee till 2:30 this afternoon. Thought I'd have a leisurely morning but looked out the window and all the wet heavy snow we got yesterday and all night( and still coming down when I got up), had collapsed the Shelter Logic shed protecting my Farmall Cub and one end of the alfalfa stack. Worked outside for 6 hours and I really need my coffee now.
Oh dang! Horrid mess to wake to, I hope you aren't too sore after taking care of it all.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad everyone made it thru their part of the storm without major damage. Clean up is always the pits. The "system" from TX is moving our way, much of the fury left behind. We have some rains now, winds really picking up but, not expected to be more than a thunderstorm. Bad part for us is that the rain is hanging around for the next 3-4 days.

It was 76 here today, sunny in morning and overcast all afternoon. It was a home day and, as planned, I took a goat to the auction. Mixed emotions as I mainly use auctions to sell off the bucklings. I had bought Romeo as a weanling, the full blood Saanen I had been wanting. He will be 2 next month & I've had 2 yrs of breeding's from him. Excellent lines, etc. But he has become such an escape artist I had just "had it" and mad decision to sell him.

Back up the little pickup with camper shell, opened his pen with a bucket of feed in hand. He loves his feed! walk to the truck, toss a handful on the tailgate, set bucket inside and in he went. Close tailgate. Done. Off we go.

I got there a little earlier than planned but, trucks arriving. You just don't want to be first few up, prices are generally less at first & last. I took the truck home (had borrowed DDs, due to shell). Did some things, ate, went back It's only 8 miles to check arrivals for sale, talk, etc.

Had been a couple hours and the place was buzzing! Lot of animals & people. Low and behold, whose head is sticking out into the aisles, greeting everyone --- Romeo! He was loving the atmosphere and they were sure enthused with the one who had become the official "Hello everyone!" greeter. :lol: This big, white bruiser was eating it up!!

Auction starts, many lots of turkey, rabbit, duck, chickens, pot bellied pigs, etc., sold first. I couldn't help myself, bought 8 really nice pullets, 4 at any day lay age, 4 about 2 mos out. I'd have gotten $20 a pop to sell privately, paid $7 each. Very happy. Anyway, when those were out and ring cleared, time for animals and they had about a dozen head of cattle. Mostly Holstein just weaned, a few were feeder calf size and a couple mature Dexters -- in need of a lot of groceries. I sat on my hands! Prices were low but I wasn't taking on any hay burners. Had promised myself. Then time for the sheep & goats.

I'm expecting my guy to get thru first few, as we arrived that way. Nope, almost last! Prices were excellent on goats and there were some very, very nice ones! One Boer buck I wanted so badly (all 350# of his huge, spotted body) but knew I was not ready for him. At end I DID get name & number from seller who has more of same :clapin sons & daughters. So, will get one this Spring...or three. LOL. His buck brought $420 -- which I was absolutely willing to have paid! It was high sale today. My buck was #2 @$370....he was looking great & had made friends. :D =D Met buyers who are currently planning to use him for breeding. He'll sure do that! He loves his job.

All in all, longish day. Good results. I am excited to have found a local breeder with Boers I can love. And, these pullets are great. Same breeder I got the last 7 from, who are fantastic!

That's been my day of fun& networking that I get to do seldom. Enjoyed every minute. I plan to do a lot more of it in 2020.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow...sounds like you had a full day! I’m really glad you wrote so much detail about the auction..since we’re just getting started. Like we knew the last bring not much money, but not the first too. But that makes sense..people want to see what’s ahead. Plus..I didn’t realize feeder calves are ‘hayburners’. I’ve been..ummm kind of guiding my hubby in that direction..but, he’s not ready. He’s had cows before, and he just...well...doesn’t totall explain..we watch them go at auction, but maybe if they eat so much as you’re saying, I’ll wait until we can get our one field replanted. I’m really glad to hear you got such a great price on Romeo..he must be quite the looker!! We bought some more pullets yesterday too, not as good of a deal, but they are laying...have a great day!

Latest posts