thanks guys, all this info has helped greatly!:hugs

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
would a hay bag work for holding hay?

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our fence posts were 6" diameter from TSC. I don't know about t-posts, but I know you want the fence to last and not have to repair it next year. Why put up a fence you keep having to build over again? Another thing- when temperatures are this cold, the ground is really hard and difficult to dig post holes and tamp. We like to wait till warmer spring temperatures and moister soil conditions to do fencing work. My brother-in-law's family was in fencing and they used the cedar on the land to make their posts. I think they cut it and seasoned it before using. I've seen fencing material on Craigslist- sometimes stuff lying unused, sometimes old fencing to be taken away. It can work, but it is a lot of work...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nigie does are considerably smaller. Nubians 160-200 lbs Nigerians- 60-80 lbs so double the space you would want for Nigerians.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You really need the 6.5' T-posts to have enough to plant in the ground. With a 5' post, you'll only have a foot in the ground. One long T-storm or a couple of really wet days of rain water to loosen the soil, coupled with a goat standing up on the fence, and those T-posts will fall right over. With the 6.5' posts, you can sink 18-24" of post into the ground and still have a little post above fence line that you can put a string of hot wire on top if you find the need down the line.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...d-t-post-6-1-2-ft125-lb-per-foot?cm_vc=-10005

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ok I'll get the other t-posts I was just using the 5' as a example.

how often would a t-posts post need to be placed if the dimensions are 15x20?

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
for my shelter I have multiple old dog igloos that are large size...would that work?
Screenshot_20180107-140442.png either that or I plan to do this.

can everyone get some pics of there shelters?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We place T posts every 8 feet.

For a shelter, I’d do something similar to the pic. That way two goats can cuddle together and will have more room when it rains. You will probably want to have an actual floor though, the first will get gross quickly.

How long are you wanting to keep the goats in the 15x20 pen? Nigerians will be better than Nubians in this type of situation. Nubians get big (our doe has weighed of to 165 pounds). They have a LOT more poop, not trying to be gross but when keeping goats in a small pen you have to think about these things. Their feet will churn it into a mud pit once winter hits. Plus they will be costly to feed. Nubians eat. A lot. They will essentially be in a dry lot, so you will need to provide ALL feed and hay, they will not have adequate forage so that means more $ spent in hay and feed.

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I meant a 15x20 for the Nigerians.

yes I'll do a covered floor for the shelter and on the front side a half wall. and I'll muck out the shelter and pen every so often for fertilizer.

I plan on getting Nigerians but am interested in Nubians and was just looking for info.

if I get 2 Nigerians and milk twice a day will this sustane a family of 7?