considering getting goats

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! Best wishes on finding the right goats for you!

I am really glad you are looking at buying tested animals. Trust me, it's worth it. I didn't, and ended up having to put down about 1/2 of my herd because of it. It was awful.

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
so pallet fence dosent work?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It may, or it may not. Goats love to climb for one thing. They also love to get themselves into trouble. Many here will attest that they actively TRY to kill themselves. Mostly, I guess they need adequate space, adequate food and water, and a few "toys" to keep their attention diverted and keep them busy... things to kick around, climb up on, jump on and off, stick their heads into (and get stuck - buckets and such), you know, that sort of thing. They need enough space that they can RUN a little as they practice predator/prey escape scenarios in their little heads. Like when for no apparent reason, they all jump straight up and do a 180° turn while airborne, and run full speed in the opposite direction as far as the fence will let them go. Then turn and look back at you like "what? you didn't SEE that?!"

A pallet fence, on its own, will NOT stop a rut crazed buck from trying to get that sweet smelling honey of a doe. Be it yours or the one that's 1/2 mile up wind blowing her sweet scent down to him.

A pallet fence, on its own, will NOT stop high prey drive predators such as coyotes, wolves, stray dogs, neighbor's dogs, YOUR dogs, from attacking and killing your goats, at will. You will NEED to top the fence with hot wire, possibly two level high above the fence. Plan in advance for how you intend to accomplish this.

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
im not getting any bucks so that won't be an issiue. if the pallets were supported on the outside with sturdy sticks/poles that were in the ground holding the pallets up. and wire was strung on the top of the pallets would that hold them?

an way I could use strong wire that's not electrical? I will have little kids on the property and don't want to have to worry about electrical wire.

most of the time I will have them tethered to a tree so they can graze either on the lawn or in a brush field. that way they will get stuff other then feed and hay.

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
there's also no one around that has goats so I think I'm good with the whole buck/for setting

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thinking long term you will need a buck to produce babies.
Some will allow buck service but most who do are not disease testing.
If they lease a buck to you then more than likely they will for others. Are the goats tested?
This is how disease and infections become a problem.
The few breeders (good breeders) that will lease a buck would require proof of tested clean animals.

T post with 2x4 wire around it - box like should work, for the trees.

As far as tethering- this is not a good practice. Dangerous to say the least.

I would advise visiting several goat farms so you can see how goats are managed, kept safe etc.

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a friend who has goats and she will provide the bucks services for me. I'm pretty sure there tested. I would only tether under supervision and only in day time.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
We can ALL tell you what we have for fence, what has not worked and what is (?) working. You can choose the best you can afford BUT it does not mean that you won't have any issues ever. You may not, then again, you may. Size of goats may be a consideration for "some" of their escape attempts.

I use 2X4 no climb woven, 4' tall. MOST of the time it is just fine for 99% of my goats. This year I have a very athletic young doe who sized it up, takes 3 steps back, one up & propels her lovely self over the top like a deer! o_O None of the others do this. I hope she will stop once bred and in milk. I find the does in milk are FAR less intent on escape tactics that may injure their udder. (This girl goes back in same way).

Now my buck is huge & while tame and content, if in rut he will challenge ANYTHING that is called "fence". Cattle panels keep him contained but he continually pushes on it to find "the spot". Summers? A plain old 4' fence is fine.

None of mine leave my farm when out...even if thru a gate left open. They graze and forage -- there are those tree, bushes, flowers, gardens issues!! -- but, stay fairly close to their barn areas. In fact, I can open a gate, call them and they will follow me like the Pied Piper! I have taken them to my furthest fields this way often. However, when thru eating, they all rush back "home". If I want to KEEP them in a further field for the day, I must shut that gate. When they want back, they look for an escape to come back.. :hu

Goats have personalities and HABITS. They are creatures who want consistency. If you milk, do NOT go out of order :D :rolleyes: They know their order & don't appreciate a change....although they may rush to get in because most are fed on the stands.

SBC is correct about testing. Proof of testing is best for all parties. It's less expensive that vets/meds to cure (if you can) or losing your herd, as others have attested.

Goats are awesome animals. Everyone is giving you some great info to make your ownership experience a good one. We love all of our goats -- you will love these amazingly smart and affectionate animals. YES -- very smart!!

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@chickens454 - I like the 2x4 no climb 4' fence, too. We used cattle panel on part of ours and found that the baby kids can just walk right through it. So we added welded wire on top of that, but it isn't a lasting solution because the big goats can break it easily. You probably have a few goat people right in your area that could help you get ideas. Maybe a google maps search on "goats" or "goat farms" or "farms" will turn up some results. You could join a FB group for Nigerian dwarf goat sales and ask for breeders in your neck of the woods to respond. It is good that you are asking a lot of questions and figuring things out before you get your goats because it's emotionally taxing when something injures or sickens an animal you love and care for. Good fences; healthy, tested stock; good management practices all help make for an enjoyable experience with goats.

chickens454

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/red-brand-non-climb-horse-fence-60-in-x-200-ft

is this what your talking about?
could any one get pics of there fences?

is it more like this?
20180106_222734.png
or this?
20180106_222712.png
these were the results when I typed in "no climb woven fence"...