Copper Deficiency: Fishtail?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Alaskan @Ridgetop I really appreciated all both of your info and help with my other questions!! What are your thoughts, if you don’t mind me asking?😅

So the Manna Pro Mineral only has a max of 1,600 ppm….. I am going to switch to Purina Goat Mineral which has a minimum of 2,500ppm.

Should I give a copper bolus to help refuel the deficient copper levels in my goats (and maybe help them with their deworming and worms)? Even though I’ll switch to a higher copper ppm?

Could that cause toxicity, giving a bolus and switching to a higher copper mineral?

Would it be better to just give the higher copper mineral, not the bolus
First.... figure out if your area of the world is deficient in copper.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think 2.5 ppm in soil is usually seen as low.

Is 4-16ppm the amount of copper in your local soils? That would be plenty of copper.

If your copper soil levels are that high..... and you think that there are possible signs of copper deficiency..
I would look at the ph of the water that they get, and I would have a fecal count done.

The ph of the water is that if the water is way off from neutral, then it can make some mineral absorption more difficult.

The fecal count is because if he has a high parasite load, or parasites that are more problematic, then those can also mess up mineral absorption.

The tail pictures don't look like classic fishtail to me.

He might be naturally shedding since we are changing seasons.

:idunno

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feed a pelleted feed that has 50ppm copper. I use Purina goat minerals and New Country Organics minerals also. I have well water that is high in iron which is a copper antagonist. I copper bolus several time a year. I have a couple of goats that are my barometers. When their coats fade - I copper the whole herd.

Latest posts