Cost of Hay?

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We get the little square bales for $3.25 each. We go through about one or two a day, depending on how much the horses graze out on the pasture. The bales are about 3 ish feet by about 1.5-2 feet. I don't evne know what they weigh, but it is all made up of regular grass hay. Really nice stuff.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Small square grass/alfalfa mix - Approx. $5/bale THIS year

Same hay cost $2.50 - $3 25 years ago.

Sounds like it's gone down, like computers.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
a small square of horse quality hay runs from $2.50 to 3.00 a bale here and rounds anywhere from $20 - $100 a bale depending on size, upwards of 600lbs is very hard to find.

large squares are around the same as rounds

oh and our prices have been fairly consistent for a good long time, i remember paying 2.50 a bale 10 years ago for horse hay.

NOW if you want haylage, which is what we had to buy for Pal for 3 years, it was $9 a small square

and boy do they smell nastyyyyy

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well I have not purchased hay yet...still working on last years buy..guess i did good lol

My gf just purchased very nice 2nd cutting alfalfa for 650 a lift - compared to last years 1300. I probably have another 2 months in the barn that I need to get fed out before I purchase, so who knows what the price will be by then. Hubby confiscated the hay barn, so all will have to go into the horse barn for storage, kinda makes a squeeze in getting a year supply in.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I just purchased hay for $4.50 a bale plus delivery charge. That is the going rate around here. It is absolutely gorgeous 2nd cutting orchard grass hay. Only the best for my alpacas and goats! (not to mention that they waste anything else). ;)

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We haven't purchased any hay yet this year. I'm getting 5' squares for the horse and small squares for the goats likely, whats the deal on feeding grass hay with clover in it for goats? Is this okay... I can get it without clover, but I'm just wondering. Alfalfa hay is hard to come by around here, but I can add some alfalfa cubes to the feeding for supplement.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Small square grass/alfalfa mix - Approx. $5/bale THIS year

Same hay cost $2.50 - $3 25 years ago.

Sounds like it's gone down, like computers.
UPDATE!!!
Just got my loft full yesterday--found a new seller who delivered AND STACKED!!!!!! :celebrate
at $4.00/bale, really pretty orchard grass/alfalfa (practically NO STEMS!!!)

**ducks4you dances at the prospect of N O H A Y R U N S T H I S F A L L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
JEALOUS! . I have to clean out my loft before we get hay, I'm just too lazy!

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
we are growing our own, orchard grass and red clover mostly. there are spots that white clover and lezbedeza have snuck in, some foxtail, and whatever else is growing. hope clover isn't bad, they have been on it for 5 yrs now. :/ but to buy hay here in so. ill. can run 1.50 a bale to 6.00 a bale in field, depending on who and how baled. lg rounds from 20.00 and up, grass mix, you pick up at field

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I purchased three lifts last year and crossed my fingers that it would take me through winter when it is hard to get and highest priced.... well here I am summer and still feeding.... about 48 bales still to go... lol Got nice heavy weight bales, makes a big difference!