Cost of Hay?

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We had about 400 bales taken off our field last year when we didn't have animals here, we have about 20 left that aren't looking so hot and are going into the compost pile. Plus all Jims old hay that was underneath is going too, we're putting down skids and getting in our large squares. Calling tomorrow to order! :D Can't wait to be feeding enormous flakes of hay, much easier than the stupid small squares.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
JEALOUS! . I have to clean out my loft before we get hay, I'm just too lazy!
Aw, :hugs You're not lazy--You're overworked!!
**ducks4you cracks the whip on lupinfarm's boss and watches the boss dance** :cool:

Good luck on that cleaning job--I've BEEN there! :hugs

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ughhhhhhh

Well in the end we have given up on getting the Jeffs to answer their phone and are ordering from Trevor instead (From WolfCreek Equestrian) because he will let us take 50 bales at a time, he's a 10 minute drive away, and he charges $3 a bale, which is good. Also, his hay is exceptional quality, we took 10 bales to sample and are very pleased with the quality of it.

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Finally ordered and received my first block of hay... nice having fewer horses, won't need to order but one more to take me through winter.

This year heavy weight bales, beautiful alfalfa with a splash of clover. Quoted me for 5 ton, received over 5 ton landed at my barn for 625.00. Have another block to come then I'm done...should take me through May/June Yippie!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our hay is coming tomorrow! We're taking small squares in 50 bale increments. We're almost done cleaning out the loft.

BDial

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Straw bales $4
small square bales $5
900-1000# grass hay $45
900-1000# Alfalfa/grass $50
900-1000# Alfalfa $85

Free delivery and storage for us on the round bales since we are only 2 miles away.
(he also won't deliver the bale till I look at it and ok it.)

cherokeerainbow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm in Maine. I purchase square Timothy bales. 1st cutting bales are about 4ft and 40lbs at $4 per. Second crop (green green soft grass) is about 50 lbs (same size) and $5 per bale.
I moved up here about 6 yrs ago. When I purchased my 1st cut crop the bales were only 1.75 each!!!! ugh
Now, I must buy 2nd crop to boot as 2 of my horses are senior and have trouble chewing (yes they have a dentist, every 6 mos)...they will just waste the 1st cut, so 2nd it is.
500 bales for the year at $2,500.00 total

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm in south central PA and I only get small square bales 40-50 pounds each and horse quality timothy hay goes for an average of $3-$3.50 a bale. Alfalfa hay can go for $5.50 a small bale. Large round 4x6 bales go for about $40 a piece for horse hay.

I'm expecting prices to drop a little this year. The pastures really held on for a long time last fall and winter and the farmers ended up with a surplus of hay this year. They were selling last years hay to make space in their barns for as little as $2 a small bale for horse quality hay, $1.50 for cattle hay.

Latest posts