Cougars

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It is unique. I don't think its like pork. Very dark red meat. When we butcher them we remove the bone-no bone saws. Then trim off the fat and sinew. Don't like the fat left on there. Then cut into stks and grind the other stuff that don't make a good stk.
Spring bear is much better than fall bear. Fall bear have been gorging on all kinds of stuff. Some not so good. LOL
Spring bear is lean.
We made our bear into sausage. Makes great sausage.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BrownSheep said:
I've heard bears kind of like greasy pork. Any truth to that?
A coworker of my husband's traded some ground bear for some goat breakfast sausage from us so we could try it. It's great! Tastes like a richer version of beef, IMO. Broader flavor, but very tasty. We're hunting one this spring. :fl

CityClucker

Just born
Reaction score
If you can get a fall bear thats eaten corn all summer its the best eating there is hands down! Also when you cook cougar it smells like dead cats...but tastes very good.

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't find bear anything like pork. It is a very very dark meat, and I have never noticed a gamey taste at all (might depend on the bear, and how it was prepared). I thinks it is more like llama or elk!

TheNewMrsEvans

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So other than eating them all ;) how should you lion proof goat/sheep? Would a covered chainlink dog run do it? Or you'd need electric on top of that?
We are moving into a new place where they have mt lion...we have a 2 dog limit (rental) so no option of LGD...

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
TheNewMrsEvans said:
So other than eating them all ;) how should you lion proof goat/sheep? Would a covered chainlink dog run do it? Or you'd need electric on top of that?
We are moving into a new place where they have mt lion...we have a 2 dog limit (rental) so no option of LGD...
Recommendations where there are cougars are to have 10 feet tall fences with electric at top and bottom. They have the ability to leap a 6 foot tall fence.

TheNewMrsEvans

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Currently my plan is normal welded wire 5' fence with hot wire along the top for the daytime. They will have wooden sheds to be shut into at night. The question is having a more secure area to put them in if we decide to go out in the eve, but it's too early to go to bed. My current setup has a chainlink 6' tall dog run bolted to the front of their shed to keep out coyotes. I was hoping to put chainlink panels on top of the run to make a more secure eve area. Would the mt lions get through a chainlink run with a chainlink top? Should I plan on running hot wire on it too? Where would it be placed on it to be effective?

Is my plan sufficient?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I'd probably go with 6' chainlink...hotwire 6" above and at the bottom...

The recommendations that I posted above are from wildlife authorities, but it would be difficult to do.

Latest posts