Counting Lambs

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’d seriously consider financial losses
I know you are right. Over here sheep aren't worth a lot(in monetary terms) In the 11 years I have kept sheep, I've never made a profit.:hide Theoretically I keep them for pleasure. i am vegetarian, so never eat them, and treat them like royalty. WHY AM I KEEPING THEM? :idunno Next year I'll endeavour to have less.....

My last ewe gave birth yesterday....first timer, but a born mother. One of them had a very striking bum (half white half black)....pic to follow.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rosie just having given birth

Rosie just given birth.jpg

Is this an alpaca?

Rosie just given birth (1).jpg

Rosie with her lambs (next morning)
Rosie just given birth (2).jpg

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
They are beautiful! :love How are all the other moms and babies doing now?

I keep chickens and I don't eat chicken meat and I seldom use or eat eggs, so there you go. I give away eggs, my DS sells some now and then, but I just enjoy having them around. The joy they bring is worth the expense and work of keeping them IMO.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
The joy they bring is worth the expense and work of keeping them IMO.
Spot on......I also have chickens (don't eat them and dislike eggs). I like sheep a lot, and they seem to know that. I have found lambing technically easy as most of the ewes who needed help let me go over when they lay down to push, and give them a hand in getting the lambs out. (Beats chasing a frightened ewe in difficulties who can outrun us and exhaust both us and themselves, often with a bad outcome).

In spite of horrible weather continuing (forecast to change soon) and the grass not growing (lots of ewe nuts and silage), the lambs , by and large look OK. Some ewes are a bit thin, but this usually resolves itself when the lambs are taking more solid food on board.

The little Leicester ewe Rosie, pictured above is only a year old and this is her first lambing. She's a real star, though. She needed no help, licked them off promptly and stood patiently whilst they found their way to her little udder, buried in her ringlets. When I left her yesterday evening she had still to pass her afterbirth. This morning there's no sign of it, so she must be one of those ewes who eats the afterbirth. If they show the inclination, then I don't try to stop them as the extra protein must come in handy (if they can digest it properly!).

As I seem to have been saying for tat least the last six weeks...roll on Spring. I think that some other members have been having bad weather, too.....

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Rosie sounds like a wonderful mom :)

I had a few sheep some years ago. Impulse purchase from a friend who needed some cash quick. I didn't know one of the ewes was pregnant until she delivered twins! Absolutely loved them and loved keeping them. If/when I have the space again in future I will probably look into getting some sheep again.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well done Rosie! Her lamb looks like it sat in a bucket of paint. LOL You have had a hard time of it this year, I am glad that spring is getting closer for you and your sheep.

We have sheep because we love them. My Lady Baa Baa is shedding now and likes to be plucked. I plucked her a little yesterday and walked to the gate, she followed saying BAAAAAA BAAAAAA at me. So I plucked some more, gave her some scratches until she had all she wanted and walked away. I am well trained.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
So lambing is over....love it to begin, and even more for it to finish!

Here's one of a bottle lamb in the 'Director's Chair'....definitely not directing "The Silence of the Lambs'

The Lamb Director.jpg

He liked that vantage point.

The Lamb Director (1).jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like your barn. Mine went from a pitiful 8'x8' plywood shelter to a 20'x24' roof (no sides yet) and the sheep love it. I had radiant heat barrier installed under the metal roof and it really cuts the heat. I put the sheep in the pipeline pasture and after about 3-4 hours, they are bawling at the gate, wanting to go back home! They lounge around under their new barn and ruminate. Spoiled brats.

Your lamb looks like he's up to the challenge of telling everyone what to do. He's just too cute!