Counting Lambs

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
A trying day.

Girl with triplets rejected 2 as they walked away, and girl marked for 3 had 4....producing a disabled lamb.This lamb cannot stand and has a flexion deformity of the front legs. She is most unlikely to survive and will probably need to be euthanised....

Rejected twins (sleeping in kitchen)

Sleeping twins.jpg

Disabled lamb

Disabled lamb.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate that part. Poor little lamb, yes we do what we have to do, but that doesn't mean that we have to like it. At least you will have the other two to hug and squeeze.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor little girl looks as though she will never be able to stand....her body is twisted and her frontage has a flexion contracture.

meanwhile I have had two healthy sets of twins born, but my lovely old Leicester girls has had two stillborn....she's refusing to leave the spot where they were born.

Lambing is such a roller coaster.....so many sorrows, but so many joys.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sad for the Leicester ewe. She just doesn't understand, she knows she had them, but just can't find them. :hit

I lost twin lambs last year, I put them in a wagon, wrapped in an old towel and let the ewe grieve. I cried for an hour while she vainly tried to get them up. She left and came back several times, then finally didn't come back.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I lost twin lambs last year, I put them in a wagon, wrapped in an old towel and let the ewe grieve.
I usually do similar. You are a kind, caring person who knows that sheep are sentient beings and can empathise with their loss.

Gerty seemed to know they were dead from the art, She went back to where they were born and stayed there an hour or two, then can down to the feeders with the others and hasn't returned there since. She's an experienced mum who has had many lambs....she knew what had happened wasn't usual.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our Australian Shepherd died in my arms this past summer. While preparing to bury her, our GP, Trip, tried again and again to wake her up. He then guarded her while we dug the hole and laid next to her grave for the longest. We were not expecting his behavior and it really turned on the tears for us.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well hectic doesn't describe things strongly enough.

9 births yesterday....4 needing help....2 first timers who had to have help out with stuck lambs, 'twisted twins, and a mother rejecting one of her two lambs (still doing so).

I'm seriously sleep deprived and much more of the same likely today.

Now who's bright idea was it to have more sheep this year??? (Yes, you can guess).

I'll take pics. of some of them when I can.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
9 more births! I’m not there, so I’ll be excited for you. LOL You are sleep deprived so the excitement factor may be taking a vacation somewhere warm where there are no sheep. LOL