Counting Lambs

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is Marilyn doing?
She's doing fine, thank you. In the second picture her sister, Poppy is taking a look at what's going on.

Foggy (sick shed ewe) is still hanging on (just). I'm syringing flat energy drinks into her via the drench gun.

Thank you, Roah T.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Foggy (my sick ewe expecting triplets) died overnight. Her death was peaceful and quiet. I gave up syringing fluids into her at the start of the weekend....and found she would still take small drinks from a little bucket held near her head. She had eaten nothing for 3 days and had not been able to stand for the same period.

I gave her a little drink late last night and positioned her head across some straw so she could breathe easily. I sang to her, and said Good Night. Her breathing was slow and low a short time later. This morning she had gone, still in this same position. No teeth grinding, no signs of pain, no evidence of suffering at all. She had just gone to sleep....forever. RIP Foggy and her unborn lambs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know you tried your best. Animals capture our heart, they come into our lives and leave much sooner than we want them to. They take a little of us with them, but leave a whole lot more of themselves with us. Big hugs to you and to Foggy and her lambs.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry for your losses... What a shame. :hugs Hopefully no more and the weather starts improving for you and your sheep.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our weather is again cold and windy, but not much snow forecast.

Lambing still has not started....some of the girls are very big, obviously feeling tired and have big udders.

Yesterday I went past my 'dry ewes and lambs' and couldn't find Becky who is a lamb with visual impairment who I bottle fed last year. She was not with her group and didn't bleat when I called her.....which she usually does. However, I note she was missing with her constant companion, Aerielle, who was bottle fed at the same time, so less worried. I went to look for them (this group is in two fields, one of which is very large). I was pleased to see the two of them in a far corner, and they both started to bleat when I began to near them Phew.....I thought that the weather had overcome them. Over comes Becky, looking fine, and over comes Aerielle, looking..... WIDE. Thought....she hasn't been in a field with any ram as I considered her way too small for tupping. She walks over. Ever friendly, I stroke her .......that width isn't just her thick fleece...and feel underneath.....a sizeable udder. She's quite tiny, but obviously pregnant. The neighbour's high jump champion, Jumping Jack Flash, obviously paid a visit to her field, too. I moved her and Becky over to the field with ewes having singletons and await the outcome! Lambing hasn't even started yet, but it's bound to be eventful.

Aerial.jpg

Aerielle .....in the one day of sunshine we've had over the last few months.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She looks so pretty, so white and clean against a field of green. I hope lambing goes ok with her. Sneaky little things, aren't they?