Cow pregnant and in heat.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh mymy, yes I've seen that happen before also. It's actually a pain in the butt! I'm glad she is is prego and hopefully she keeps it. At the farms I've worked at the cows had never lost their calves due to it, but there's always possibilities. I've seen jerseys do it more often then holstein, but then again, they are "active" lil buggers..lol

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The vet confirmed it so the breeder was right and she kept the calf too! She is a mixed breed of my blue and white quest. ;)

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oooooooooooooo, I so want to see pics of that calf :) I hope its a heifer!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I hope it's a heifer too. You can bet the pic will be posted in my calf thread when she/he arrives. Records are in the barn and I can't recall to what she was bred to this year or her exact due date.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have no clue what huckleberry is.

Blue and white holsteins are like the one in my aviator. She is dark but still stands out with the black and whites. Blue and white is that grayish color in holsteins.

Here is a cow we had. Her name was............Blue. :D
Blue.jpg

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
kitty the best thing todo is want a bull real bad out of her.an then maybe itll be a heifer calf.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
kitty the best thing todo is want a bull real bad out of her.an then maybe itll be a heifer calf.
:lol: I did see a blue and white holstein bull Sat. when we went fishing. I've also seen plenty of them as bull calves. :rolleyes: I may just have to try your theory.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ive got a cow that im wanting a heifer out of.an she has had 3 bulls in a row.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Huckleberry is what the old farmers used to call a cow that was a bluish/grey speckled. No pure black anywhere. Sort of like the grey bloom on a blueberry. In this area, huckleberry is the slang for blueberry.
I think we had one that color about 1955 (ancient history there) Of course, with the advent of registered holsteins, anything other than pure black was a HUGE nono. Heaven forbid red or gray!

I've seen some linebacks with the blue shading. Linebacks are getting big here. How about your areas?