Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think 3 gallons takes about 10 minutes, and I get just under a quart of heavy cream.
Well, I have to correct myself. This afternoon I pasteurized six gallons of milk and ran it through the cream separator. I have it set for heavy cream and I got five cups of yummy heavy cream!

For dessert, tonight, DH mashed a cup of our fresh blackberries, drizzled some raw honey and poured about 2 Tbsp of heavy cream over each bowl! OMG!!! :drool It was better than blackberries on ice cream! :drool

Tomorrow I'm making more butter and the next day I'm planning to make my first batch of Mozzarella cheese! :celebrate :drool :celebrate

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
What do ya do with the milk after separation?
Well, that is still up in the air. :hu

We have been giving the dogs milk, with their dog food, since they were puppies. So, we have increased how much we give them. Same with the cats. They all love the milk!

We do fermented chicken feed, and I was thinking we could add more milk to the feed mix.

I was thinking I might give it to the kids, at night, when They are separated from Ruby and Falina.

The website, where they sell the same cream separator, that I bought on eBay, has this suggestion for the garden:

Use it in the Garden
If you can’t bear to consume leftover skim milk or simply have far too much of it to deal with, consider using it in the garden. Diluted milk acts as a fungicide and is well tolerated by tomatoes and veggies, perennials, and annuals. Use a solution of about nine parts water to one part skim milk in your garden or on your crops. Use it to control powdery mildew on melons and squash. Many people use diluted skim milk when watering their houseplants, too.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a fig tree that a bird planted for me in my front yard when we still lived in the city. I brought it with me when we moved and after 6 years I got a pretty good crop off of it last year. I also have 3 fig trees in pots and one other, a Kadota variety, in the orchard. You think I might like figs?

If I buy a cream separator I need the stainless steel one if I ever want to use it in the dairy and those are expensive so I wait.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I buy a cream separator I need the stainless steel one if I ever want to use it in the dairy and those are expensive so I wait.
prorate the cost over the number of gallons of milk you will run through it. If you are selling cream from your dairy, I suspect the separator will be quite affordable.

I can't drink wine. It gives me headaches.
Store bought wine, it has sulfates as a preservative. That is what gives you a headache. I bet you can drink wine that you make yourself. Though I've never done it ... grain of salt!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
prorate the cost over the number of gallons of milk you will run through it. If you are selling cream from your dairy, I suspect the separator will be quite affordable.

Store bought wine, it has sulfates as a preservative. That is what gives you a headache. I bet you can drink wine that you make yourself. Though I've never done it ... grain of salt!
I wondered about that. I know even fresh grapes have some sulfates. So, if I do eat grapes I never eat too much at one time.

I have one of those inherited metabolism that make it difficult for me to lose weight. It has been a frustrating, slow process.

I have learned that when I eat too many carbs in a day, I either gain weight or minimum, can't lose weight. So, wine/fruit juice is one of those things I don't indulge in. If I eat fruit at all its a small portion (1/2 apple, a few grapes or berries, etc).

DH eats enough for 3 of me and is skinny as a rail. No matter how much he eats, he can't gain weight. He can eat lots of carbs. But, has learned if he does, he is constantly hungry & doesn't feel good. So he tends to limit carbs as well.

Also, I have several family members who have diabetes. So, I figure by limiting my carb intake, I am also staving off diabetes.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Raw milk, diluted as per above, gets the microbes going in the soil also. It is supposed to be a great fertilizer for that reason.

Devonviolet, you might want to pasteurize a batch of your cream after it is separated and use the milk as a soil enhancer.