Devonviolet Acres

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do 'have it' This is Texas and I was born here. This attitude and ability to overcome adversity is what built this state (and this nation).
If I let a little heat and humidity deter me, I would never have built what I have.
It's always going to be too hot, or too cold, or too wet, or too dry, or too windy or too many bugs or too muddy, or too 'something'.
If my cattle can stand it, so can I.
What's a little sweat? :thumbsup

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do need to go back to wearing long sleeve shirts tho..

DSC00487.JPG

DSC00488.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we are out in the jungle, we wear long sleeved denim shirts. Needless to say, flip flops and shorts are NOT proper farm attire.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
To be honest, it doesn't take much for that to happen to me. I'm on 3 different blood thinners. All it takes is a bump, a tiny scratch, or a prick from a little thorn for my skin in that area to turn purple. It goes away after a few days, tho I do have to be very careful about serious cuts. I never leave the house without something to use as a tourniquet.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never heard of Yaupon. So I looked it up & it turns out it's an evergreen that loves the harsh climate & poor soils of West Texas.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt

www.fourstjames.com/blogs

I think I have seen this, on our property. Although I don't remember any red berries.
I never saw any when I lived in San Angelo, but it's always been here in East Texas. Invasive thru out the Nat'l Forest here and most of East Texas. Wrong time of year right now for the red berries. It will destroy a fenceline, as it pushes the wires up and out as it grows. I've killed most of it off here, but can't spray this particular fence as it is the boundary between me and the national Forest, and lawd help me if I kill one of their precious invasives.
I wish the forest service workers had it all stuck up their backsides.
23718943284_c2d8c852ca.jpg

Deer will browse on it...and cows will too, if there's nothing else for them to eat.
If it grws into or leans over my fence tho, it's fair game and gets the knife.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yaupon is either a PITA or good stuff, depending on how you look at it. My horses trimmed all they could reach on our old place in Livingston. My cows ate it too. I took my saw and cut higher limbs and gave to the horses. I have a couple of little plants here but the sheep eat it to a stump. @greybeard maybe you need sheep!

That storm woke me up too. I laid in bed trying to go back to sleep, no luck. It is clear right now, but here comes some more! I have no ambition today....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yaupon also has caffeine in it, the leaves can be dried, lightly toasted and used for tea. Not too bad...... The leaves also flare and burn-totally green-and make a good fire starter.