Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
This morning, after we fed the animals and milk to Angelica, we got busy in the garden again.

Last night I took a soil sample, and put it in some water, so I could test the pH. I put a handful of soil in water, let it settle, and used a pH test strip. It turns out, our soil is very acidic. Big surprised there!

We had 3 - 50 lb bags of barn lime. So we sprinkled it over the garden and tilled it in. This time we set it for just 3 in deep.
IMG_20190606_110218399.jpg

After we did that, we took the tiller next to the house and tilled two strips. I want to plant sunflowers right next to the house, and then another type of flower, like maybe zinnias.
IMG_20190606_120730933.jpg

Once that was tilled, I went to to the area just the other side of the blackberries, and tilled that as well.

Before
IMG_20190606_105932296.jpg

After
IMG_20190606_120751463.jpg

I sprinkled lime there and when I tried to start the tiller, it wouldn’t start, so we did something else, to let it cool down. By the time I got back to it, my feet really hurt, so suggested we wait until tomorrow to do that. Besides, it was 12:30 and getting hot. So, we decided to knock off for the day.

Before we came inside, I remembered that I hadn’t taken a photo of the fig tree. So, I got this photo:
IMG_20190606_102118380.jpg

That orange fluff ball under the tree is our Maine Coon kitty. He loves laying outside when we are busy in the yard.

Right now it is pouring rain. It may be muddy in the second area, that I tilled today. So, I won’t be able to till in the lime I sprinkled. Although, that may not be such a bad thing. Pulling that heavy tiller around corners, caused me to strain my right knee, and my right ankle is swollen. Staying off my feet for a couple days might just be the ticket.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That looks awesome!! Nice work! I know you are tired, but happy with your work. Your fig tree looks so healthy and well loved. A couple of days rest will do you good. We go out and work, then we have to lay up like dogs under the porch in the heat of the day. :lol:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a cute wren build a nest, on the exposed half, of the top of a post, on our back porch. One evening, when I went out to help feed the animals, I found one of the baby birds on the deck. So, I picked it up, got a chair and got up and put it back in the nest. I could feel two more warm, featherless bodies. As it was, they filled the nest.

Whenever, we went out on the porch Mama would fly to the fence and wait until we were gone. At any given time, we can see either Dad or Mom on the fence watching us.

Now the babies are big enough, that we can see their heads or tails hanging over the edge of the nest.

Yesterday, I tried getting a photo of one of the babies that I could see over the edge. Everyone I took was blurry, because of my Essential Tremors. So, I got DH to take it, and this is what he got. It's hard to get a clear pic, because there isn't much light up so high.
IMG_20190608_110149813.jpg

Later, yesterday afternoon, I was working at the kitchen sink, and I could see all three babies, with their mouths open, for Mama to feed them. She was standing on the edge of the nest. It was SOOO cool!.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have that with the barn swallows who build their mud nest RIGHT in front of the stall coop on a joist. They have done that every year. The first year, 2012, I was putting hardware cloth on the stall openings (yes AFTER the chicks arrived about June 15th). The birds fledged on July 4th. This year the parents are nervous and mostly fly off when I come in but I noticed yesterday they are staying in the nest more. I wonder if the mama had laid her eggs now.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just love that these little birds trust us enough to make their nests in our space. It's so cool to watch them raise their young. I especially like that I can see the babies in the nest from the kitchen sink.

After yesterday being so hot and humid, this morning dawned with a nice cool breeze. Our low last night was 69 degrees. :) Our high today is only supposed to be in the low 80s. :celebrate So, we got out early to feed the animals, and milk Angelica. I came in and filtered the milk strain the kefir grains, washed up my dishes from doing all that. Then I went back outside, to mow the front yard. Well, actually it's a front and side yard on the street side. I'm guessing it's about a half acre. Why l used the riding mower, DH used the push mower, two more round the edge.

The grass was so long, from all the rain we've had lately, I started by doing the first pass on the highest setting (7). then, I set the mower down to a four, medium-range, and mowed it again.

I tried mowing the ditch along the road, which had gotten really high, but the slope was so steep, I felt like the mower was going to fall into the ditch. So, two passes was all I got done on the ditch.

When I was finished with that, I noticed that the grass back behind the barn was long, so I told DH I was going back there to mow. I promised the age I wouldn't go past where we have the trailer part, but I couldn't help myself, I kept going. :lol:

I mowed all the way back to the woods on the left, and then went behind the livestock pasture. The dogs absolutely hate the lawn mower. When I was back behind the pasture they were barking their heads off. I did about five passes back there, and forced myself to stop.

I'm thinking tomorrow I will go back there again, and finish the back pasture. The ground is so uneven back there, it's easier on the back, to do it in stages.

When DH does the trimming with the push mower, he always puts the bagger on. Then, he empties the bagger into the yard wagon. When we are finished, we take wagon with the grass clippings and make piles for the chickens, ducks and goats. And they just love it. The goats seem to like the grass clippings better when I hold handfuls for them to eat through the fence.
They're not spoiled, are they? :lol: :love

Latest posts