DHIR Questions

DesertDawn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a few more questions! My girls are currently registered with AGS. I have noticed they too have a milking program but I get the sense that it isn't as popular as the ADGA. Am I correct or should I just stay with AGS and do their milk program? The breeder I purchased from is not a member of the ADGA. If I register these 3 with the ADGA will they accept the AGS Tattoo number or do I need to tattoo them twice?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are finishing up our 2nd year of DHIR
We are not rocket scientists

It"s not that difficult

Last year we self reported
This year we used an independent tester

If you have no personal first hand experience with DHIR I don't know how in the heck you can say anything about its complexity

Maybe we are rocket scientists

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a few more questions! My girls are currently registered with AGS. I have noticed they too have a milking program but I get the sense that it isn't as popular as the ADGA. Am I correct or should I just stay with AGS and do their milk program? The breeder I purchased from is not a member of the ADGA. If I register these 3 with the ADGA will they accept the AGS Tattoo number or do I need to tattoo them twice?
Register your goats with ADGA
If they are AGS registered ADGA will accept them
It is also not rocket science

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is hard - that is why there are several FB groups solely dedicated to it and the fact that ADGA has been asked over and over by those involved heavily if they could rewrite the section to help others get started. The ADGA refuses.
They say they promote performance testing yet purposely have made it difficult to navigate.

Many of the new directors also what to change this and support more performance testing... we will see if they make progress or not.

Add to that how many do not know that if you have dwarf breeds and standards it is best to have too different herd numbers because it will affect the standards long term... or should you just put them on a different strand? add to that which test group will you pick, which one allows the person to be eligible for all awards, which ones don't? Then finding out if you have a tester and you aren't doing owner sampler that even then you still have to have another do the VT.

I have had 3 different answers of the maximum time that I have to get a goat on test after kidding...

I think once a person gets on test then it becomes "easy". Everyone I know has had to have someone walk them through to get started.
Sorry but you don't have any first hand experience so you aren't qualified to say anything about how hard it is or isn't

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could also run the letters through the dishwasher in a pinch.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry but you don't have any first hand experience so you aren't qualified to say anything about how hard it is or isn't
Umm we have been working on this for a while now. So yes. She is.

You are not "qualified" to make that statement because you do not know how much we have put into this OR who we have been speaking with. ;)
We were going to have our tester out after the fair, but she was to the convention so it had to be delayed.

Isn't Muarine the one doing the milk testing?

Last edited:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@DesertDawn do you have any goat groups/clubs in your area? Sometimes they will have a milk tester training. This is great info! We will be using dairy one.
We have a herd code, but I think after talking to a "friend" who works with Dairy One we have two separate herd codes. One for standards and one for ND's so our overall herd numbers won't be affected as badly.

Look over the ADGA directory and see if anyone around you is on test. You might be able have them guide you through.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
OFA didn't mention, to register your goats with ADGA you will need to get the transfer records from AGS. Call ADGA and see if the AGS tattoos will work with ADGA. I am transferring some AGS goats over to ADGA and after talking with ADGA, was told to add a Q to their tattoo.

DesertDawn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Register your goats with ADGA
If they are AGS registered ADGA will accept them
It is also not rocket science

I am not concerned about the ADGA accepting their registration. That wasn't a question at all. Thanks for inferring I'm stupid, it's much appreciated.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@DesertDawn ig you aren't an ADGA member yet I can look for you, if you'd like :)

ETA I know of a few great breeders in AZ that may able to help you out. I've had me eye on the one farm in particular, they've got some great Nigerians!