Disbudding

JerTheVintner

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just did all three of my new born Nigerian Dwarf bucklings this morning. They are 5 days old, 3 days old, and 2 days old. Last season we waited over a week and that was too long and we had very minor scurs on one.

This morning, I checked and all 3 had their nubs sticking up so I decided to just bite the bullet and do it today. It went pretty smoothly. Here is how I did it. I plugged in our Rhinehart 3/8" iron and let it get good and hot. I got towels, iodine, and a frozen gel pack. I used electric clippers to shave around the buds. Then I wrapped the first guy in a towel like a burrito so he couldn't move. Then, while I was sitting down, I held him in my lap with his body between my legs and his face pointing away from me and I wrapped my left hand around his face with my my fingers and thumb wrapped under his chin. With my right hand I grabbed the iron and applied it firmly for about 2-3 seconds around the nub rolling it slightly to enure good contact and then immediately applied the gel pack. Then I did the other side the same way. Then I went back and did the first side for another 2-3 seconds until I got a nice copper ring and held the gel pack on it again for a few seconds. I did the other side again until I got the copper ring and then I applied the gel pack again. Then I went back and used the side of the iron tip to burn out the center of the ring for about 2-3 seconds followed again by the gel pack. I repeated on the other side and again held the gel pack on. I then applied iodine to the area and as soon as this was done I unwrapped the little fellow and put him right on his dam's nipple and held him there until he poked and latched on and a few seconds of nursing later, he was fine. The most difficult part was actually shaving the area around the nub. Start to finish the entire process took less than a minute on each guy.

My new little doelings get a reprieve of a week or so until I can feel the nubs of their horns starting. Disbudding is not fun, but it is so much better than dealing with horns. For me I think the important thing is you can apply the iron more than once and still get the copper ring. On our little Nigerian Dwarf males, the trick was cooling it off with a gel pack in between and not doing it took long at one time. I never had the iron on them for more than 3 seconds at a time. It really isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I always made sure the Dams were right there, not only so the little guy could nurse immediately afterwards, but also so the Dam could see that the little guy was returned in one piece and not much worse for wear.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't diss bud I have had several done and it changes them I don't care for it they were created with horns so leave them with horns. You can mess it up bad I've seen goats that are not all there cause of diss buding even ones that walk with there heads side ways. I had a very nice nub that I got diss budded and she was never the same kind of brain dead. But I do believe the guy that did it was in a bad mood the say he did it.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I don't diss bud I have had several done and it changes them I don't care for it they were created with horns so leave them with horns. You can mess it up bad I've seen goats that are not all there cause of diss buding even ones that walk with there heads side ways. I had a very nice nub that I got diss budded and she was never the same kind of brain dead. But I do believe the guy that did it was in a bad mood the say he did it.
We disbud for safety with small children around and ourselves with milking and being at ground zero with them as do most people. That is why many people do it aside from those who show and they can't have them then. I would be heart broken if anything happened due to it but in my herd it has to be done and that is something that I have accepted.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
@JerTheVintner - sounds like you have good technique and that you did a great job!

@Simpleterrier - You certainly have a right to your opinion and this topic has been one of much controversy but a lot of us have very good reasons why we disbud. I've been raising goats for around 25 years and I've probably disbudded close to 1000 kids. No kidding, lol. I had two neighbors that raised goats alongside me and I did all of theirs and all of mine plus a few more for folks and I've never noticed a personality difference unless it was in one who WASN'T disbudded.

They are more aggressive with horns and like @samssimonsays it's a safety issue for most of us. Not only for the safety of children and ourselves - but for the safety of the goat itself. I've found goats hanging dead in a fence - it's not pretty. I used to show with some folks who left their goats horned. You can show a pygmy with horns. Judges don't like it, but it's not discriminated against. They came to the barn one morning and found their 3x Grand Champion with his horns stuck in a hay rack and his neck broken. In fact, I know of several instances where the horns in the hay rack turned deadly. I've also seen goats attacked by predators and their horns didn't do them any good at all against a determined dog/coyote/bobcat...

Disbudding is my least favorite goat chore - but it's one I do because in my circumstances I find it necessary.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We decided to take them to the vet. They have an appointment Monday. That way we dont mess up. Just wish we would have done it that way in the beginning. My little guy is acting ok now. He was jumping and playing. U live and learn.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We decided to take them to the vet. They have an appointment Monday. That way we dont mess up. Just wish we would have done it that way in the beginning. My little guy is acting ok now. He was jumping and playing. U live and learn.

Vets mess it up too
Disbudding is not an exact science
I've had scurs on goats done by a vet
And one emergency vet school visit by one done by a vet
Not meaning to scare you

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
According to my best friend/veterinarian they don't teach disbudding at the vet school in Texas. Course, she graduated a few years back so maybe they've changed protocol since then....

She did eventually learn to disbud - but she learned from someone who was not a vet school instructor...she learned from someone who had more than a decade of experience at that time. She learned from ME! ;)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just did all three of my new born Nigerian Dwarf bucklings this morning. They are 5 days old, 3 days old, and 2 days old. Last season we waited over a week and that was too long and we had very minor scurs on one.

This morning, I checked and all 3 had their nubs sticking up so I decided to just bite the bullet and do it today. It went pretty smoothly. Here is how I did it. I plugged in our Rhinehart 3/8" iron and let it get good and hot. I got towels, iodine, and a frozen gel pack. I used electric clippers to shave around the buds. Then I wrapped the first guy in a towel like a burrito so he couldn't move. Then, while I was sitting down, I held him in my lap with his body between my legs and his face pointing away from me and I wrapped my left hand around his face with my my fingers and thumb wrapped under his chin. With my right hand I grabbed the iron and applied it firmly for about 2-3 seconds around the nub rolling it slightly to enure good contact and then immediately applied the gel pack. Then I did the other side the same way. Then I went back and did the first side for another 2-3 seconds until I got a nice copper ring and held the gel pack on it again for a few seconds. I did the other side again until I got the copper ring and then I applied the gel pack again. Then I went back and used the side of the iron tip to burn out the center of the ring for about 2-3 seconds followed again by the gel pack. I repeated on the other side and again held the gel pack on. I then applied iodine to the area and as soon as this was done I unwrapped the little fellow and put him right on his dam's nipple and held him there until he poked and latched on and a few seconds of nursing later, he was fine. The most difficult part was actually shaving the area around the nub. Start to finish the entire process took less than a minute on each guy.

My new little doelings get a reprieve of a week or so until I can feel the nubs of their horns starting. Disbudding is not fun, but it is so much better than dealing with horns. For me I think the important thing is you can apply the iron more than once and still get the copper ring. On our little Nigerian Dwarf males, the trick was cooling it off with a gel pack in between and not doing it took long at one time. I never had the iron on them for more than 3 seconds at a time. It really isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I always made sure the Dams were right there, not only so the little guy could nurse immediately afterwards, but also so the Dam could see that the little guy was returned in one piece and not much worse for wear.
Nothing like how I do mine
I don't do any that early
And I burn mine mine 3 times longer
Surprised you haven't had more of an issue with scurs on bucks

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never done any at 2 days...with the pygmy goats it was usually by 10 days. I don't use iodine either. And, honestly I couldn't tell you how many seconds I hold the iron on their heads. I shave their head. I do an initial burn on one side - then do it on the other side - then use the gel pack. Then I do it all again until I get that copper ring. I do knock off the horn bud. I sometimes use the gel pack first too. I think it buys a couple second of numb-ness before the burn.

I have noticed that with the bigger goats, the Nubians and Kinders - they seem to need to be done earlier - especially the bucks. I've done them at 5 days. I don't like it - but their horns grow so fast!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had my vet do them but only when they are too big to be burned by any of my friends. She cuts off the nub and then burns and ices but she knocks them out cold when she does it and uses a pain killer. But again, these are goats that should have been burned a few weeks earlier.

I just did some the other day and I burned for probably 5 seconds 2 times for a total of 10. I did some last year that cried and cried after I was done and my mentor told me that I didn't burn them long enough to kill all the nerve endings. This time I went longer and harder and no crying after the fact.