Do You Vaccinate?

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
MrsDieselEngineer said:
Anyone give the CL Vaccine?
We do. I have only had one case of a large injection site abcess and even it was realitivly minor. It was about 1 1/2 in diameter and the doe never had a problem.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
MrsDieselEngineer said:
Anyone give the CL Vaccine?
We do. I have only had one case of a large injection site abcess and even it was realitivly minor. It was about 1 1/2 in diameter and the doe never had a problem.
MrsDieselEngineer said:
With the CL tests being so expensive we're seriously considering vaccinating the whole herd for it.
CL vaccine is only (moderately) effective if you've already got CL in your herd and you want to protect your clean animals. If you don't have CL already in your herd then you're really wasting your time.

Goat owners should check with their vet or their local extension agent to find out what additional vaccines would be beneficial to your herd. In Ohio for example - the state is spending quite a bit of money to keep Rabies out of our state, so they don't recommend a Rabies vaccination (yet)...but states Pennsylvania and East should consider it.

elevan said:
http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-basic-health
Core Vaccines
Clostridium perfringens types C and D overeating disease
*toxoid vaccine
*antitoxin temporary (14 day) protection

Non-Core Vaccines
Tetnus (may be core in some flocks / herds)

Campylocbacter and Chlamydolphila for contagious abortions

Caseous Lymphadenitis only if you have an infected animal along with clean animals
--common in sheep and goats
--draining abscesses are the primary source of the bacteria that causes the disease
manage these infected animals carefully isolation and disinfection
--shear animals with suspected abscesses last
--ask shearers to disinfect equipment and provide your own shearing mat
--vaccine must be combined with sanitation and management

Foot Rot
--vaccine not currently available for unknown reasons in the USA
--only works if the serotype on your farm matches the vaccine serotype
--oil based and will cause a LARGE lump
--do not accidentally inject yourself it will have the same large irritating lump in humans

Soremouth
--virus that is contagious to people
--virus will persist in the environment for a while (at least 6 months)
--vaccine is LIVE and capable of causing the disease in animals and people
--vaccine not recommended unless there is a history of the disease on the farm or in the
flock / herd or reasonable certainty of exposure (such as a show with a soremouth
animal)

Rabies
--vaccines for sheep but not labeled for goats (work with your vet)
--may be required for exhibition in some states
--may be justified in some flocks / herds to protect valuable genetics and humans
--a big concern for states Pennsylvania and East of PA due to raccoon rabies

PinkFox

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
CD&T how often?

I practice limited vacination on my dogs, i did alot of research and found most vets are seeing a 3 year minimum immunity in dogs with most vaccines...
I now titer test the dogs and havent had to revacinate yet...

BUT theres no info out there on the "lifespan" of CD&T in livestock...
Id hate to give it every year if it provides much longer term protection (ive seen the results of vaccinosis and its not pretty), i also know tetnus for humans is 10 years, but i also know tetnus is a horrible way to go.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
PinkFox said:
CD&T how often?

I practice limited vacination on my dogs, i did alot of research and found most vets are seeing a 3 year minimum immunity in dogs with most vaccines...
I now titer test the dogs and havent had to revacinate yet...

BUT theres no info out there on the "lifespan" of CD&T in livestock...
Id hate to give it every year if it provides much longer term protection (ive seen the results of vaccinosis and its not pretty), i also know tetnus for humans is 10 years, but i also know tetnus is a horrible way to go.
CD&T needs to be given yearly. Some herd keepers give it semi-annually.

Livestock tetnus vaccines are only persistent for a year. Keep in mind that livestock have a higher metabolism than humans. So if giving the tetnus vaccine separately then it needs to be given yearly as well.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I am one that doesnt vaccinate dogs and cats as often as most vets would like. We do give rabies shots yearly, even though once they have had two rabies shots they are supposed to only need it every three. We have alot of rabies in our area. Parvo, Corona and the like.......I give a solid puppy routine at 6, 8, 10 and 12 weeks, followed by boosters at 6 months and 1 year. After that, I dont vaccinate except for rabies and kennel cough, if needed.

Cattle are vaccinated yearly with a solid 7 or 8 way depending on the need that year.

But the goats will get their CDT yearly. For now, that is the only vaccine they will be getting. I'm researching the CL, but honestly, I dont think I will be using it.

PinkFox

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
elevan thanks for that, thats eactl what i was wondering...theres so much info out there for Pets and people, but livestock is a little lacking in terms of up to date.
will definatinatly plan on doing the CDT yearly.
im planning on doing only CDT and herbal dewormer for the goaties. the tetnus is my biggest concern especially on this property im still in clean up and while they wont have acess to a section of land untill ive gone over it and removed old nails glass ect, theres always a chance of me missing something...

Dogs and cats are simple compared to livestock.
i do 5in1 at 8,12 and 16 weeks, rabies as close to 6 months as possible, booster 1 year later for each, and then rabies and titer test every 3 years...lol. sooo much easier.

so if CDT is yearly the yearly it is :D
if it were cheaper to titer test id love to run that eperiement, so see exactly how long the antibodies are present in a goat or cow or hors as compared to a dog cat or human...
titering interests me lol.

Ironmonkey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
PinkFox said:
CD&T how often?
I just went to a Dairy Goat Association meeting and all three vets there recommend CDT at 4, 6, 8, and 12 weeks of life and then every 6 months thereafter. Yes, its a little early to be effective at 4 weeks (probably), and a bit more often than is (probably) necessary but you will (absolutely) be devastated if you lose kids to CDT. I'm changing my protocols to this system as of tomorrow (gotta go buy some needles). Also, keep some anti-toxin around. When you have a failing kid, you have literally minutes to get them treated.
I'm all about natural herd management and organic living, but these animals have entrusted me for their care and I'm going to make sure they stay healthy.:D

doreenmcd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Here in Idaho our soil is lacking in Selenium and it's important to vaccinate with Bo-Se and I also do CD&T.