Do You Vaccinate?

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with the rest. Vaccinating for at least CD&T is something I absolutely wouldn't neglect. I was planning to give some 4H kids a clinic on vaccinating their horses...one little girl's horse stepped on a nail at their house that week and died from tetanus before we even had a chance to give the class and let them know when to use anti toxin or toxoid. It was heartbreaking. I wouldn't take that risk with my animals, ever.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Don't have goats, but I did have my two ewes vaccinated for rabies last year. They go to petting zoos at least two times per year, and the vet recommended it since they would be in contact with hundreds of people, esp. little kids.

PinkFox

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
given that the most common vector species arnt going to mess with a full grown adult goat, and the vector species large enough to be a goat risk would typucally not leave the goat alive i dont think rabies is that much a risk.

but i will be doing CD&T when i get my goats.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I dont' know, PinkFox. Most horses are vaccinated against rabies. Plus, animals that are infected don't act normally, so it wouldn't be out of the question for them to mess with goats. That said, I don't vaccinate my sheep or goats for rabies.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sunny & the 5 egg layers said:
I have a weird question: Do you guys vaccinate against rabies?
It isn't a bad idea if you have a lot of contact with your goats, or children are spending time with your goats. Livestock can get rabies and they do.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Tetanus is absolutely a hideous disease. It is probably one of the most cruel ways for an animal to die. It is not quick, it is not merciful. It is agonizing.

The CD/T vaccine does not result in an abscess. If you clean the skin properly and thoroughly and use sterile procedure then the risk of an abscess is nil. However, it may cause a local reaction (leave a knot) just like the tetanus shot gives you a local reaction when you get it at the doctor's office.

I limit the use of other things like antibiotics and wormers because I don't like drug resistant diseases, but I don't hesitate to use them when they are needed. I prefer natural methods. Animals, for the most part will get well with healthy, careful management, good nutrition and good care.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We do CD&T. Rabies is not common in goats. But it might not be a bad idea if it's not too expensive to do & definitely would be a good idea if you had a lot of people handling your goats on a daily basis (ie-petting zoo) I don't do rabies vacs for my goats. I'm a strong believer in keeping the animals as healthy as possible through good management (healthy diet, lots of fresh water, good grooming practices, clean pens/beds) If an animal is strong & healthy it's own immunity should be enough to ward off most diseases. The best way to decide is to weigh the cost & risk of the vaccine, vs. the cost & risk of not giving the vaccine.