Doe with Diarrhea and Lameness — HELP!!

HairyRedFairy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just recently purchased an 8 year old pregnant doe. She seemed healthy, stool was fine, she was walking and eating— basically no problems. A couple of days ago she started having “pudding” constancy diarrhea, and laying down often. We thought the kids were just getting heavy. It’s been two or three days, and she will barely stand up to get water. Her eyes are somewhat goopy, and the diarrhea is the same consistency, but not getting better at all. I wasn’t to worried about the stool at first ( thought it may just be the change in diet getting to her), but her lack of movement is becoming a large concern. I am preparing to have her tested for CAE, CL and Johne’s, but I wanted to post here to get some opinions on the issue. Thank you!

Attachments

• 472CD910-EE85-4AFA-A1AA-AA722AC4C1CC.jpeg
    472CD910-EE85-4AFA-A1AA-AA722AC4C1CC.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 302
  • F87EF111-C0F8-481E-BD18-BB49CC55D431.jpeg
    F87EF111-C0F8-481E-BD18-BB49CC55D431.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 301

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics, she looks thin but has a big belly? Can you feel her ribs/spine easily? When is she due to kid? Temp?
It looks/sounds like she is having a major parasite bloom. I would be calling a vet out ASAP.

Is she eating or drinking?

How is her FAMACHA?

HairyRedFairy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics, she looks thin but has a big belly? Can you feel her ribs/spine easily? When is she due to kid? Temp?
It looks/sounds like she is having a major parasite bloom. I would be calling a vet out ASAP.

Is she eating or drinking?

How is her FAMACHA?

Yes, her ribs and spine are easily felt, though she has an appetite that is normal. I’m not sure when she’s due, as the folks we bought her from had her in a herd with a buck, and they couldn’t tell me when she was bred. Her temp is 102. Her FAMACHA is at about D4.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
She sounds like she has a severe parasite load. Talk to your vet, have a fecal run.

You’ll need to give supportive care. It can be difficult to bring a goat back at this stage.

HairyRedFairy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She sounds like she has a severe parasite load. Talk to your vet, have a fecal run.

You’ll need to give supportive care. It can be difficult to bring a goat back at this stage.

Even with an appetite it could be parasites?? I wouldn’t doubt it seeing how the folks I got her from never used wormer and had the goats on pasture. It’s just strange that she’d be eating so much. Either way, I will definitely be talking with a vet. Thank you.