Emmadipstik's Journal - Lots of weird things going on here...

Rose N Lynne Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just read a thread on a 4 day old kid having an udder. (Cool thread by the way! :thumbsup)

My Alpine doe Laylie is a precocious milker, and has been producing two quarts of milk a day for over 9 months.

Will her kid be a precocious milker, or start having an udder at 4 days old?

If the kid does start having an udder, I should just leave it alone, right?

I don't think she is even pregnant so I don't really have to think about it, it just really is interesting to me :]

Also how do you tell if a buck is infertile?

Yoshi our Nubian buck is 8 months old, and has shown no interest or acted bucky at all. He acts like a doe.

Any ideas on that too?

Rose N Lynne Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Lot's of weird things going on around here lately...

It starts off with a scary animal scream at around 2 am a few nights ago. Still not sure what it was... :hide

Then yesterday Laylie's belly got HUGE. It's still huge, not hard though so it's not bloat or worms. Wormed her 4 days ago.

And now just an hour ago I set down my milking pail and go away for just a second, and when I come back the milk is gone. :ep And I look at Laylie and she has milk dripping off her chin... :barnie

Is it okay that she drank her own milk? There was probably a quart in the pail...

And Yoshi is infertile... :he

So any information on if Laylie will be fine is greatly appreciated, also I need some help with the post above.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
emmadipstik said:
I just read a thread on a 4 day old kid having an udder. (Cool thread by the way! :thumbsup)

My Alpine doe Laylie is a precocious milker, and has been producing two quarts of milk a day for over 9 months.

Will her kid be a precocious milker, or start having an udder at 4 days old?

If the kid does start having an udder, I should just leave it alone, right?

I don't think she is even pregnant so I don't really have to think about it, it just really is interesting to me :]

Also how do you tell if a buck is infertile?

Yoshi our Nubian buck is 8 months old, and has shown no interest or acted bucky at all. He acts like a doe.

Any ideas on that too?
I read that too, pretty cool!!

I kind doubt it, but, ya never know!!

Uhm , I'm no expert but, I don't think the fact that hes not INTERESTED in the does means hes infertile, but ya never know!!!!!

Animal scream? Porcipine? Mountain lion? Just some ideas of what it might be!

Big belly- Huh, weird....

LOL! Bad laylie!!! I don't see whats wrong with her drinking her milk, but I might be wrong. Ive heard stories of them milking themselves :gig

He is? How can you tell? Hes not breeding, or he bred and it didn't work? Sad to here :(

Maybe Laylie's eating a lot...? :hu

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
And now just an hour ago I set down my milking pail and go away for just a second, and when I come back the milk is gone. And I look at Laylie and she has milk dripping off her chin...
My Spellbound did that too! I turned around for a second and she hoovered up her own milk in like 2 seconds flat! She was a bottle baby so I don't know if that had anything to do with it ....... :hu

And no it won't hurt her....It's just a little weird.... :lol:

Rose N Lynne Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey! I've been so busy i havent had a chance to get on here!

A few updates:

-Two of our chickens passed away this week.
-Nellie's pregnant and due in 2 months!
-The snow is melting!! Woot!

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
The snow is melting! and it looks like southern Idaho should stay pretty nice for the next couple days.
Looking forward to the kid!