Ewe Called for help for another ewe

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes their "warning" is "telling on" the others. If I look out and see horses running, whinnying, etc., it means that something is not as it should be. I have often said that a group escaped their field and didn't open the other's gate, so they "told on them". o_O

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are some sheep who are a little "slow" but mine, especially Rosie are very smart. She knows how to open the gate if we forget to latch it, however once she got her head stuck and screamed for my dad. She also recently learned how to open the grain bin. She knocks over everything to find exactly what food she wants.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My ewe that we put down was like that. She "talked" to me and let me know when something wasn't right. Once I watched her stretching to reach the leaves on a tree branch, which stayed out of her reach. She walked straight to me, BAA-BAA'ed loudly and made it clear that I was to do something. I bent the branch down and she and the other ewes had a snack. I sure miss her.

Mike I think it is awesome that #1 your ewe alerted you that something was wrong and #2 that she trusted you enough to call you for help. In the short time that ya'll have had them, she has realized that ya'll are the caretakers of the flock. Isn't it amazing that these "dumb" sheep are pretty darn smart? And even more amazing, it was your "wild" ewe that called the alarm!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bay - she is still wild but after being in the nursery for 3 days she will let me lay hands on her without flinching but I think she knows I won't push her. :)

She is one that I'm never sure she won't try to butt if provoked. She butted the LGD several feet when she got to close to her baby. We keep them in the nursery for 2-4 days to make sure this seasons lambs won't be wild ewes next lambing season. Every time I went in to handle her lamb she would literally put her nose never more than an inch or two from my face and watched me pet her lamb. I was trusting her to not put that 160 lbs into my face. :)

Latest posts