Ewe straining but no plug, no discharge, no sac... Just wait?

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's worth a try... he's just so fragile that I don't want to risk him getting hurt. I think when he's able to suck on a bottle (I'm going to push that hard from now on) then we'll give him a try. I think he may have learned to be lazy b/c we just plunger it into him... time to build a sucking reflex, buddy!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just found this and also other post about saving this lamb.

Too late now, but if you wanted to get that other bottle baby onto this ewe as a foster lamb, you needed to wipe that lamb all over with the dead lamb's afterbirth, leave the afterbirth on the foster lamb and give her to the ewe. The ewe will clean the afterbirth off the foster lamb and should take care of it after that. I would milk out the colostrum to freeze though to save for any future problems. If you are prepared for problems they usually don't happen. "Ridgetop Rules" LOL It is when you are not prepared that everything goes wrong. Sorry about losing that nice ewe lamb.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just to know. I experienced a doe that was not dilating her cervix this year and she was straining with contractions the vet had me give her 30 cc's of calcium with vitamins and she ended up dilating and kidding smoothly after that. She told me if she didn't do it by morning which would have been about six hours later to give her a second dose and if that hadn't worked that we would have had to go cesarean or something.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good to know! Something to add to the kidding/lambing supply box. Thanks.
My money saving in friendly advice tip because it cost me lots of money to have the vet out at 12:30 at night to tell me a tube of calcium vitamin mix and tell me to give her 30 cc's now and if she hadn't given by morning to give her another dose and if she didn't kid by afternoon she would have to come back out to do much more. she lost the plug about 1:30 in the afternoon and have been straining for awhile like your poo before I messaged the vet that I needed some help. I had reached in but I'm still relatively new and I didn't realize that because I couldn't feel anything was because I wasn't getting past the cervix but I was uncomfortable going in past half my gloved hand. usually by that far and I can feel a head or feeding if I need to move something around to help it come out easier I can do that.
Anyway, I gave the 30 cc's in a couple hour laters hours later she popped out two kids. Unfortunately bucklings, nothing back legs are always bad, but this was probably her last kidding for me and I never got another dough after her first kidding and of course the first year I sold the kids I was buying fencing back then and every kid was another roll of fence. Unfortunately, she never had another one.

I gave it orally with a big syringe. There may be something more specific to goats or lambs but this is what she gave me may have been what she had on the truck.

IMG_20190309_063052918.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts