Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine is a T-Mobile. I don't dislike it, just not comfortable with...it is android as is my tablet. Long story but, it's on DD plan. My number transferred from old Verizon, flip. But I do have unlimited talk, text and data. Hotspot covers my now cancelled satellite Dish. 1/2 cost and portable data on tablet now via hotspot. An upgrade & compromise.😉 Victim of yr end lack of 3g support. Old we seniors will adapt, complaining 🤣

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
DS1 just told us that our I-phones will not work after January 1. They are too old and Apple is discontinuing service to them. We will have to get new ones. That means that we will have to learn a whole new phone operation! :barnie
If you already have an old iPhone, switching to a newer model shouldn’t be too much of a learning curve. The main (frustrating) changes have been the removal of the headphone jack and the way you unlock the phone. They went from a home button and entering a passcode, to a fingerprint reader in the home button (or passcode), to facial recognition (or passcode).

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Monday.... went from 60 to 82; from wet dew to sun to clouding up, to black looking to 20 sprinkles to it all dissipating, to clearing off, and then sun back out late this afternoon. Forecast had gone up to 55% rain... I watched it early on the radar looking like we would get a down pour....
DS was not happy that i hadn't raked the stuff at Deb's... and I was not here for a couple hours while at the ins agents office, and a couple other errands... He went and baled the stuff I had raked late Saturday after getting home from the poultry swap. So we had words, then we decided I should go on and rake.... There were a few very green areas directly along the sides along the trees... and a few spots with a little green... what we call "tough spots" but for the most part it raked and he got it baled.
It looked like it would pour, then it just fell apart and that was it. He left the real green rows along the trees, and it didn't get wet, so will tedd it out when I tedd the rest that he was going to cut after he finished there. He had to go to the concrete place to get 4 more of the "blocks"...before closing at 4:30; he can only haul 4 at a time... I was told they weigh 3800 lbs each... I thought it was 1800.....anyway. So, I left, went to get some more feed for the cow and calves, and then went back by the farm to see if he wanted to leave the truck and trailer at the concrete plant later, so they could load 4 more during the day and all he would have to do is trade the truck/trailer with another of his trucks... and this way they could load a load every day... I would have brought him back to the farm to get another truck for him to drive... he was working 3 heifers through the chute that had pinkeye really bad... helped him with the shots and then he said he was going to go mow and did not want to take the truck down. So I came on home for the rest of the day.

I got the 2 leghorns caught up again and put in the box for the night. The hen is an idiot... screams when you catch her, and does everything she can to get back out of the box as soon as I put her in there... Rooster is a little flighty but not nuts.
Got the 2 brahma's in and shut the door and that's it for the night outside.
I scored when I went to Lowe's while out this morning. I was looking at some tin to put on the roof of a "mobile" coop that I think I will put the leghorns in for some time. The roof was plywood and has finally rotted. I want something that will shed water... So priced some 26" wide and it is 15 a 8ft sheet or something like that... I realized that I would have to get at least a 10 ft piece... roof is 48" wide by 32 " long... If it is 26" wide then I need 2 pieces on each side...so that means that cut in quarters... 30 inches long... that would not be ideal...
So, a couple of guys were there and helping me... I said I wanted something cheap didn't care what color, that the chickens would not care... and they laughed....and one said, hey, there is some stuff out back, that has been here forever, that is 14 ft long and we don't sell anything 14 ft long here for as long as I have worked here... So they said they would go talk to a mgr and see what I could get it for... drumroll..... there are 4 sheets, they are a little weathered looking... sold for $32 each... would I want them for $10 each????? HE// YES...... They are called dead stock.... and tomorrow I go back and get all 4... they will load them for me...he said they would put a flag on the end of them too.... ALL PAID for as fast as I could swipe my Lowe's card....
GOD BLESS the guy that remembered they were out there... I can use them for a future coop or a simple calf shelter/barn ... OR SOMETHING. I think I will take the bale truck and a 2x4... drop the arms straight out back of the truck and with the 2x4 across them to make a long platform for the metal to just sit on.... Rather than try to use a ratchet strap and all that to try to hold them on the back of the little truck.... Or just buy a discounted, crooked 2x4 or something to put across the arms sticking out... that will give about another 6-8 ft straight out back of the bed to support them on. I might have one here at the house; have to look.

Got 2 insurance agents looking at prices and will get back to me tomorrow for the vehicle insurance that is due on the 30th... Trying to see if bundled with the house ins, if I can do better... couldn't the last time I checked when I bought and insured the house...so the house ins agent said to just keep my vehicle ins where it was for the price... but now there are 2 vehicles and the Explorer is full coverage..... Also talked about an umbrella policy if I can do it all, for any thing like "lawsuits" etc in the future... it is like $10-12 a month extra with 1 mil umbrella insurance. If I get a dog and it bites someone... or someone gets hurt on the property for whatever reason, even if they are not supposed to be here....people are SUE crazy.... so looking at it. DS has all that on the farm... and if I slowly get less entangled, I want to make sure I am covered for "whatever" might come along.....

So that is about it for today.