Fattening up a skinny horse - Update

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yearlings and babies do not do well with ivermectin. It just doesn't do a good job. I would get the power pack 5 day wormer of Panicur. Worm him with that and give him some probiotics. Then start adding in beet pulp (highly recommend) and get yourself a bale of alfalfa. Or cubes if you cant find the bale. Also make sure you are feeding a high enough protein grain for a young horse. Not a whole lot of grain, but he needs something for his growing bones and body to help. High quality hay would be a plus - grass hay that was fertiziled and barn stored.

I was not impressed with our recent attempt at Wheat Germ Oil fat supplement with one of our old horses. I finally took him off cuz he basically started loosing weight. Ugh. Wrong. I don't like most of the weight builders out there. Just a money gimic in my experience.

Just edited to add that I have had a hard time getting beet pulp down here. I am trying the new Omolene 400 put out by Purina because it is mainly pulp. Soaked first as a general rule.

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You've gotten some good advice already on this thread but one thing I want to add is regarding the teeth. I have a two year old and she eats very slowly. Everyone is always saying to get her teeth checked by a dentist and floated, but the more I read online and the more I talk to friends, horses don't need to be floated until they are around three or so. At two they actually begin losing their baby teeth, and I'm pretty sure this is the reason our horse is eating so slowly. I've yet to find any of her baby teeth, but looking in the mouth, it seems as if she's ready to lose them.

So I wouldn't jump to having a dentist come out for this yearling if you do decide to take him. In another year, you'll probably experience the same thing I am. However, if you already have a dentist coming for your other horses, you could always ask him to get the horse used to the metal piece they use to open their mouths. That way your horse gets used to something scary, and the dentist may be able to just look inside and check the mouth anyways, even if it doesn't need to be floated.

Good luck with the little guy! We have a skinny older horse we struggle with each year, and it seems like it gets harder and harder to keep weight on him as the years go by!

Scout

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, they used Safegaurd a couple months ago, so I'll definatley have to worm him when I get him home. Thanks for all the info guys!

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
all good ideas, but here is a safe way to add weight. take alfalfa cubes, add dry beet pulp in a bucket, add enough water to cover all by an inch or so, let soak 3 hrs, then feed to horse. it is sweet, eaisily digested and no grain overload. you can also feed a 14% feed designed for the growing horse. worm every 30 days for 3 months, and you should have a bundle of energy and a slick colt in 90 days or less. start out with a little bit and gradually increase. be sure there is a salt block and plenty of munchies, hay or pasture. good luck

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
you can do a few things to help get weight on the yearling.the 1st thing id do is take the horse to the vet.have it wormed.an have the vet check his teeth.they could need floating.buit start the horse slowly on grain.you dont want him foundering or colicing.
Please get your vet involved. You said nothing about the breed/breeding of this yearling. I own a 3 yr old gelding who the breeder thought would top out at 15'1hh. I have a friend whose 4 yr old colt is over 17hh, and he can't keep weight on him. I have owned a gedling who was skinny as a rail when i bought him at 4 yrs old, and I NEVER could keep any decent weight on him.

It's amazing to me that we can know so much about horses, but still find out new stuff.

lockedheartsfarms

Just born
Reaction score
I use Beet Pulp, it works great and can't hurt them. All my broodmares get it and they maintain a good weight through foaling and nursing.
Good worming program (get your vet to check for worms) Good feed and good hay.
Also if you can break the feeding up into at least 3 meals a day it will really help. I have nursed back many thin horses in my 30+ years of owning horses and the more feedings the better.

Scout

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, I ended up rescuing him (palomino QH) and he gained weight like a mad dog, kept him for several months but it got awful expensive after awhile so I gave him to some friends of mine who live not too far from me. He made it through the winter fine (which was my main concern, it was brutal here) and is the sweetest colt I'd ever dealt with.
When I first got him (they delivered from 4 hours away) they kept him in a trailer all night without food or water in the middle of summer (triple digit heat) and he collapsed after 10 minutes of being at my place. Took 2 months of vitamin shots, weekly steroids (I know, I know, but it was a last resort, I'm honestly surprised he made it,) and almost everything mentioned below to even get him strong enough to stand up. When I had to give him his shots, I literally had to insert the needle just under the skin or I'd hit bone, that's how bad off he was. But he ended up making it and doing absolutely great, being a rowdy little sucker and following me around like a puppy. Hated getting rid of him but he's got a really good home now (or I wouldn't have done it lol.) Anyway, that's the update. Thanks for all your help yall, I'd never dealt with one that bad.