Feeding doe raw bacon...

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
manybirds said:
rabbits shouldn't have meat. also if anything i think it will encourage her to eat babies if she grows a tiaste for meat. rabbite only kill babies if the baby is already dead or she is breed to young and dosn't know what to do
Though I agree about your statement regarding dead babies or young first time mothers who could be too stressed to carry through caring for the kits, I think it's not the only reason. I agree with the article regarding the water. Rabbits NEED water to eat. If they have hot water, they get desperate, and desperate, stressed rabbits will do anything to survive. It's hardwired. :)

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Surely there is more than one reason that a doe will kill kits. Sometimes they chew off an ear or limb and what's that about? "Overeager grooming" isn't exactly an in-depth explanation for that. Also, if an animal would be killed/injured by eating ONE tiny piece of bacon isn't that something they would avoid or at least something Rabbitry owners would learn to avoid rather than use? If someone has used this and the kits are no longer eaten then must we not assume that in at least some cases it works without causing health or behavioral problems?

CYG

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
CYGChickies said:
Surely there is more than one reason that a doe will kill kits. Sometimes they chew off an ear or limb and what's that about? "Overeager grooming" isn't exactly an in-depth explanation for that. Also, if an animal would be killed/injured by eating ONE tiny piece of bacon isn't that something they would avoid or at least something Rabbitry owners would learn to avoid rather than use? If someone has used this and the kits are no longer eaten then must we not assume that in at least some cases it works without causing health or behavioral problems?

CYG
I know an rabbit who is missing an ear because it got stuck in the birth canal and pulling it out mom bit off it's ear. i've had a baby die because mom bit off the umbilical cord cleaning it. if a baby dies mom will eat it. if a baby dosn't smell rite it will eat it. if a rabbit is scared too much it will eat it's babies to try and protect them. a starved out rabbit might. i agree with research that being young is not the only cause but you shouldn't worry about her eating them as long as she's old enough and in good condition and not stressed. rabbits are good mothers.

southernhoney

Just born
Reaction score
oneacrefarm said:
Rabbits are herbivores and their digestive system is not designed to deal with meat. I would not feed this to your rabbit. Does do not eat their babies because they are craving meat, they do it when they get scared or if the kit is born dead. Once in a while you will hear of a rabbit that eats her kits for no reason, but this does not happen normally. Either they were trying to "protect" their litter from a perceived predator (I know, makes no sense but that is what rabbits do) or they are just cleaning up when the kit is already dead.

Shannon
If they can eat their dead babies then their digestive systems can handle meat.

I have heard of feeding a rabbit raw bacon and it doesn't come from thinking that the animal is craving meat- you give it because of the protein. You only give very little. I wouldn't suggest giving this old country method a try unless you have a rabbit that has done this in the past -because rabbits don't normally eat their babies.I would probably first take a look at their diet- it may just be a simplematter of nutrition or foor rations (yep, they'll kill them if they don't think their is enough food) OR another solution, that probably wont make me too many friends, is to rid yourself of that problem rabbit all together.