Final Necropsy Results on Fourth Dead Kid In. Nope. Nope. Nope :(

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's frustrating when you can't get clear answers... at least you know some of what it wasn't. :hugs and I hope next year is much better.

I got the same non-results when Brosa aborted her lamb earlier this year. They were able to rule out some infectious diseases, so that helped, but they weren't able to give a real reason for it to happen. If it makes you feel better, the necropsy for it was $300 :hide (that did include shipping and a lot of testing...)

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's frustrating when you can't get clear answers... at least you know some of what it wasn't. :hugs and I hope next year is much better.

I got the same non-results when Brosa aborted her lamb earlier this year. They were able to rule out some infectious diseases, so that helped, but they weren't able to give a real reason for it to happen. If it makes you feel better, the necropsy for it was $300 :hide (that did include shipping and a lot of testing...)

Well, I at least didn't need to ship. Basically, the vet did the gross necropsy and then sent the work to the state. (The state's lab people mentioned her as one of the vets who sends stuff into them.) Basically I paid extra for interpretation of results (probably could've figured it out as I do a fair amount of work on critters) and postage. :hu

It doesn't make me feel better. $300 would've been prohibitively expensive after Thor's sudden death (Alaskan Malamute -- I owe $500 on that), Mishka's cancer (Alaskan Malamute -- diagnostics around $250), and Sid's teeth (llama -- $250). $150 is horrible enough. Yeah, this spring totally sucked. I could NOT catch a break.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Truly sorry Sky... what a sucky start to the year. I hope it ends well and next year is totally opposite. Amazing how quickly the costs skyrocket! Nothing like getting tapped for an unexpected grand or more... :barnie :he Glad it isn't/wasn't something contagious though.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Truly sorry Sky... what a sucky start to the year. I hope it ends well and next year is totally opposite. Amazing how quickly the costs skyrocket! Nothing like getting tapped for an unexpected grand or more... :barnie :he Glad it isn't/wasn't something contagious though.

It was as I suspected: a run of bad luck. I had been having good luck with kids, so this year is just a reminder stuff can happen at any time.:barnie

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate it when the answer is no answer. It just validates my feelings that goats like to die. :hugs I swear they can be alive this morning and dead tonight and no warnings. It just stinks that they couldn't give you any answers but like others have said, so glad it wasn't something contagious.

Here's to a better year...you have had your share for a lifetime.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This year has just been the year of "stuff happens." Sometimes I think we like to have a reason we can point to and say, "See, if I did this differently, the animal might have been alive." We don't like feeling helpless. But sometimes it's our turn in the bucket. :idunno

I hate it when the answer is no answer. It just validates my feelings that goats like to die. :hugs I swear they can be alive this morning and dead tonight and no warnings. It just stinks that they couldn't give you any answers but like others have said, so glad it wasn't something contagious.

Here's to a better year...you have had your share for a lifetime.

I'll take the better year, thank you. Way too much death this year.:fl