Final Necropsy Results on Fourth Dead Kid In. Nope. Nope. Nope :(

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I would be sooooooo aggravated if it came down to "well, we don't know... just the way things go sometimes..." Especially after losing so many kids in such a short time! I would want ANSWERS danged it! :( Hope you get some!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would be sooooooo aggravated if it came down to "well, we don't know... just the way things go sometimes..." Especially after losing so many kids in such a short time! I would want ANSWERS danged it! :( Hope you get some!
Well, we ruled out trauma and stomach/rumen issues. The stomach/rumen problems were with the first three, albeit different problems. And I found out that Nutmeg had lice, albeit not a lot. Probably brought in with either the new llama or maybe Skittles when we got him. So, everyone got dusted. :hu That was a more, "oh, by the way" from the vet and not a concern, per se. :caf Still, an ick factor. :rolleyes:

I have a nasty feeling it may go the direction of "well heck, we don't know," or Nutmeg's issue may have been a weird, couldn't do anything about it type of thing like those damn biting midges that killed off the deer. It would be just my luck to have her die from epizootic hemorrhagic disease from the midges or something weird like that. In which case, I would end up chalking it up to the environment and not a darn thing I could do about that. And it wouldn't be related to any of the other kid deaths. Which means I had a string of really bad luck.:hu

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, we got the final necropsy results back. :caf

And the answer is: we had a perfectly healthy dead doeling.

Yes, that's what the state reported back. She did have a small bit of cirrhosis that was caused by maybe eating a bad plant some time ago, but it wasn't enough to kill her. She was recovering from that. No worms. Some chewing lice, but not uncommon and not enough to hurt her. No liver flukes, no nothing. Nothing that would've killed her. :hu

So, I'll be out $150 more bucks and have no answers. :barnie It's a lousy year and the goat gods have decided it is my turn in the bucket for dead kids. The vet agrees with me that none of the deaths were related. She thought basically I was doing a good job with the critters. Doesn't save the 5 kids I lost, though. :idunno

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is so weird! Don't get me wrong, I am so happy nothing is running thru your herd but what a strange season!

Just be glad that you spent the $150 and know that you don't have some terrible disease running throughout your herd!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is so weird! Don't get me wrong, I am so happy nothing is running thru your herd but what a strange season!

Just be glad that you spent the $150 and know that you don't have some terrible disease running throughout your herd!

Well, I had a nasty feeling that was the case. This is the LAST TIME I have late kiddings, if I can help it. Of course, dealing with cold is horrible, but at least I know what might have killed them.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
don't ya hate it when a perfectly healthy goat dies and you can't find out why. i had that happen last year and it drove me insane. i feel your pain and frustration. hope you can finally get some answers.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
don't ya hate it when a perfectly healthy goat dies and you can't find out why. i had that happen last year and it drove me insane. i feel your pain and frustration. hope you can finally get some answers.

Well, it tells me I'm doing everything right. Just sometimes bad things happen. :caf