First CD&T Shot?

LoneOakGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have Pygmy baby born 1 week ago. At what age do I give the first CD&T shot? Anything else I need to give her? Thanks so much.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you give the dam a CD&T booster a month or so before she kidded?

That is our protocol, and then we don't give our kids their first CD&T until they are weaned at around 3 months.

If you did not, I do not know how early you can or should give a kid.

Other people would probably say they give the dam a booster and still give the kid their first shot earlier than we do.

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
Did you give the dam a CD&T booster a month or so before she kidded?

That is our protocol, and then we don't give our kids their first CD&T until they are weaned at around 3 months.

If you did not, I do not know how early you can or should give a kid.

Other people would probably say they give the dam a booster and still give the kid their first shot earlier than we do.
Totally agree, about 12 weeks for 1st shot.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We give CD&T to the dam 1 month prior to kidding and then the kids get a CD&T at 3-4 weeks and again 3-4 weeks later.

Most will give a kid a series of 2 shots 3-weeks apart esp if they do not know if the dam was ever vac.

Some farms do not give CD&T at all.

We have 3 vets and all "prescribe" a different practice. :/

LoneOakGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. We did not give the mom a shot. Should we give her one now with the baby nursing? The guy we bought her from did not know when/if she was bred. Basically, we don't know any history on most of our little herd. Should we go ahead and give CD&T shots to everyone regardless of if they are bred or not? I don't have any does that are bagging up, but from what I've read, that does not mean they're not due within a few weeks. :/ I just want to do the right thing for our goats. Thanks again for your help.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Here's how we did it when we had goats:

CD&T - Administered SQ - We obtain "Lamb Combo" from our vet that is a combination of CD&T and Bo-Se.

Pregnant Does: 3-6weeks before kidding

Kids: Mama vaccinated as above kid first is 4-5 wks of age - Booster 3-4 weeks later

Kids: Mama not vaccinated as above- First at 1 wk of age - Booster 3-4 wks later
If it were me, I would vaccinate the entire herd on the presumption that they had never been vaccinated. Then give each a booster 3-4 weeks after the first shot.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
elevan said:
Here's how we did it when we had goats:

CD&T - Administered SQ - We obtain "Lamb Combo" from our vet that is a combination of CD&T and Bo-Se.

Pregnant Does: 3-6weeks before kidding

Kids: Mama vaccinated as above kid first is 4-5 wks of age - Booster 3-4 weeks later

Kids: Mama not vaccinated as above- First at 1 wk of age - Booster 3-4 wks later
If it were me, I would vaccinate the entire herd on the presumption that they had never been vaccinated. Then give each a booster 3-4 weeks after the first shot.
I agree.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@ Lone Oak - Elevan has a great resource called "Goat Notes" and many helpful pages under Elevan's Pages.
It is worth looking at!

:)

Latest posts