First Cheese! With Picture

MissJenny

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Truly, it IS the little things!! I am so tickled to be in the midst of making my first goat cheese! A few weeks ago I asked about goat milk recipes and FreeMotion directed me to Fiasco Farm where there are a dozen or so easy to follow recipes as well as links to acquire supplies.

And then Funny Farm brought me a beautiful gallon of fresh goat milk (along with eggs and potatoes!) How wonderful -- it does not get any better than that.

So now I am in the midst of making my first goat's milk frommage. It is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing. It's making cheese.

Thank you everyone for helping me do this. It feels like magic.

Jenny

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congratulations! Sounds like you're well on your way.

MissJenny

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
And here's a photo of my first cheese in their molds.

1114_1stcheese1.jpg

Each little mold is a Gladware container with holes burned into them to allow the whey to escape. They are raised above the baking dish with upside down creme brulee dishes. The directions said I could leave this sit out for two days while it settles, or fit it into the fridge. Mine is in the fridge.

This was so much fun, so easy and surprisingly it smells so good!

Way too Easily Amused,
Jenny

FunnyFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Can't wait to taste it. It looks Yummy!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was stoked to eat the first cheese I made...turns out, it was a bit like tofu. Not much taste...kinda "squeaky" in texture.

We marinated some of it in soy sauce and that was pretty good, but I think it was just the saltiness that gave it some flavor.

Here's hoping yours turns out better than mine! :gig :thumbsup

MissJenny

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Was that panir (vinegar cheese)? Supposedly panir functions like firm tofu.:drool My only attempt to cook with tofu was so-so at best, :idunno but with the last of my goat's milk I am going to try panir -- we'll see if I can figure out what to do with it.

The other cheese, the chevre, looks and smells really good. :p I can't unmold it for a few days, but I am really tempted to sneak some.

:fl Jenny

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
As long as you cover it to keep flies and dust and cats out of it, you can leave it at room temp. It will actually release the whey better at warmer temperatures, and ripen a bit more and develop more flavor. I know we are taught not to leave food out, but some things are different. It will be fine. Trust me. As long as it is not contaminated with any pathogenic bacteria, it will be protected by the "good" bacteria. Any bad bacteria will develop in the fridge, too, anyways, just a bit slower.

Go ahead and have a taste! You earned it! And you will see how the flavor develops over time....consider it part of the learning process, or quality checks. The cook gets to taste, it is a rule. :D

Latest posts